PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Nyberg Ernst
07-01-04, 19:31
After several reminders, I heremit introduce myself. My name is Ernst Nyberg, married, three children, three grandchildren, age 67 years and two days (thanks for congratulations on my birthday!). I am a retired engineer and spend my time on family research, history, grandchildren and choir-singing. The name of the choir is "Shanty Singers" and we sing shipboard songs from the great days of sail.
I live in Finland in the city of Åbo (Turku in Finnish), and belong to the 6% minority with Swedish as native language. Two of my children live in Åbo, one in Reykjavik (Iceland).
I have, with several breaks, been researching for family for many years, but only in domestic societies. When I found that my grandmothers brother Gustaf Emil Mallén (Malén; Malen, Malan) had emigrated to America in 1906, I sent a private request for help to find him, to June Pelo. At that stage I did not know anything about SFHS and the Finlander Forum. I did not know June Pelo either, but I had heard about her and her capacity. She has do helped me a lot and, because I was not then a member, she put out my matter as a new thread. Alice Marshall, "granskare", Janet, Kevin Paavola and perhaps also other have contributed. Thanks to all!
The result was, that Gustaf Emil and his family was found! I got a list of 10 names and addresses on individuals who may be relatives to him! I wrote a letter to each of them and now I am waiting for the outcome.
I am a quite reticent (tystlåten) man. I talk only when I have something to say and not only for filling the silence with my voice. I also write only when I have something to write about, but not inly to fill empty space. I am therefore a bit embarrassed for the efforts to force the contributors to produce more threads and opinions. I think that in such a forum the activity must be allowed to proceed on its own - according to the natural need. The quality is more important than the quantity!
Kind regards

kpaavola
07-01-04, 20:44
Hi Ernst,
June forwarded me your email. I just returned from vacation over the holidays and am trying to get caught up. I will send you soon the images you had requested for Malen.

Welcome aboard!

Debbie
07-01-04, 21:06
Hi Ernst -

I spent 2 days in Turku when I visited Finland a few years ago, and thought it was a very interesting city!
I seem to remember a big statue of a pink duck - can you tell me the significance of it?
Most of my time there was spent at the Institute of Migration, where I was able to get my gr.grandfather's passport records. I remember we really enjoyed hearing the bells chime in the big tower there.

June Pelo
08-01-04, 18:42
Ernst,

It was good to see your letter of introduction. We hope you enjoy being a member and that you'll let us know the results of your letter-writing.

June

Nyberg Ernst
08-01-04, 19:48
Originally posted by Debbie
Hi Ernst -

I spent 2 days in Turku when I visited Finland a few years ago, and thought it was a very interesting city!
I seem to remember a big statue of a pink duck - can you tell me the significance of it?
Most of my time there was spent at the Institute of Migration, where I was able to get my gr.grandfather's passport records. I remember we really enjoyed hearing the bells chime in the big tower there.

Yes Debbie,
Åbo is an interesting town and Finland´s oldest, 775 years this year. It was formerly the capital (huvudstad) of Finland, but after a big fire 1827, when most of the town was destroyed, Helsingfors became the capital.

The pink "duck" you saw, is actually a pigduck, a rare crossing between a pig and a duck. It is a piece of art made by Alvar Gullichsen, whose "trade mark" is absurd humor. The dimensions are about 5 x 3 x 4 meter. It is a landmark for the congres and spahotel Caribia, on the opposite side of the road.
A couple of years ago the pigduck had, in the night, given birth to some kids with the same appearance. However, this happy event was considered to be a joke by the students, so the kids were removed. The mother is still standing there. You can see her on http://www.caribia.fi/fin/posankka.html

Cooper
10-01-04, 16:30
Dear Nyberg.

Welcome on board!

I noticed you prefer the name Åbo for your city. Is it a Swedish name? Why has it happened so that the most of the city names are very much alike in both the languages and in your city's case the names do not sound alike?

Regards,
:)

Nyberg Ernst
12-01-04, 19:50
Originally posted by Cooper
Dear Nyberg.

Welcome on board!

I noticed you prefer the name Åbo for your city. Is it a Swedish name? Why has it happened so that the most of the city names are very much alike in both the languages and in your city's case the names do not sound alike?

Regards,

Yes, Åbo is the Swedish name and I prefer that because my native language is Swedish. See also http://sfhs.eget.net/P_articles/Q_artiklar/Q_113.html

Some names are similar in Swedish and Finnish because they are chosen to sound similar. Other names are direct translations and often then quite different. However, the etymology behind names is a huge subject, where even the experts have many different opinions.

Kind regards

Cooper
13-01-04, 17:59
Thanks for the post, dear Nyberg,

For me it is not very difficult to compare the names of the cities, places in both Sweden and Finalnd as I am a linguist by first training. In my own time I transalted a lot from Swedish. But not from Finnish, the Finnish language is very different form the Roman languages that I studied in the University.

Even today, though I visit Finalnd very often, I find it difficult to learn Finnish and to draw an analogy between some of the words.

By the way, when I come to Sweden it is also not easy to understand many words. I am out of practice, you know...

Sandy Witt
15-03-04, 01:56
Hej Ernst,

It was interesting to read what you posted about yourself on this site...and I appreciate your pasha recipe, which I plan to make for Easter.

Like Cooper, I find it much easier to understand Swedish than Finnish, which is so different from any language that I have ever studied. And - like you - my family in Finland is predominantly finlandssvenska. I recently discovered the possibility of some Finnish Finns (through my Siiro/Sijro ancestors in Storå) in my ancestry. So it appears that I must learn enough Finnish to at least understand the genealogical terms.

Åbo must be a beautiful city. Two of the sons of my second cousins Gunnar Bäckman (from Vasa) and Torolf Bäckman (from Helsingfors) are students at the university there.

Although you may be somewhat reticent about posting messages, the information that you have provided has been appreciated by the other Finlander Forum members.

Sandy Johnson Witt
Gainesville, Florida

http://sydaby.eget.net/ody/emi/jvjb_bio.htm