PDA

View Full Version : Familysearch.org

K-G Molander
13-12-10, 19:06
I copy part of an email I received from familysearch. I thought it could be of interest.

Searching for Records: Pilot versus Beta

The software developers at FamilySearch are using a new methodology for writing software. In the past, software was developed behind closed doors for a long period of time, and then when it was determined it was ready, it was released to the public. The public would then find all the problems in the program. The new, more open approach is to release small pieces and features of the program a little at a time. This is good for people who like to have a say in what the final product looks like, but it can be very difficult for those who expect to find a stable and unchanged product every time they use it. For many years, most of the changes to record-searching programs were made at the pilot.familysearch.org website, which has become very familiar to many users. But technology has progressed, and the developers at FamilySearch have followed. The next-generation website, beta.familysearch.org, is now available for those who want to try out new search techniques and innovations. The pilot site will remain available until the beta site is finished, but now new collections and innovations are only being added to the beta site. Feel free to use both sites. And if you want to give specific feedback for improving features, make sure to use the beta site often and let the developers know what works and what doesn’t. The web address for the beta site will soon change to familysearch.org.

Karen Norwillo
14-12-10, 16:22
I've used the new Beta program many times lately and it seems to work fine. I did like the Pilot program and had good results with that, too. It does seem easier to save and copy records with the Beta version.