PDA

View Full Version : question re Finnish name

wendy
06-02-11, 23:38
While researching for my Family Tree - I came across my Grandparent's marriage certificate - it lists my Grandmother's Mother - as (V)Wilhelmina Isoniemi the info I have on the name of my Gr. Grandmother is her maiden name was Niemi. My question is - does this mean I have her name maiden wrong or the Iso perhaps was dropped years ago?

The info that her maiden name was Niemi came from my Grandmother (now deceased). (V)Wilhelmina and her parents - Otto and Amalia are listed as Niemi in my 'Salminen" Family Tree'. I have had difficulty in finding any information on the 'Niemi's' and I am wondering if this could be why?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Karen Norwillo
07-02-11, 17:17
Many of the Niemi had prefixes in the earlier years and dropped them when the emigrated. Do you know where in Finland she originated and year of birth? This also happened with my Jarvi relatives.

wendy
08-02-11, 02:43
Hello - as far as I know Wilhelmina was born in Karvia in 1884 and other than her parents names, that is all the info I have on her.

Thanks for you help, Wendy

Kaarina
08-02-11, 06:43
Perhaps there is information about Wilhelmina's parents, but this must be a member and pay a fee.

Karvia christened:
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/dosearch.ka?sartun=61919.KA

I also have relatives in Karvia, so maybe it is related to the Wilhelmina ..,

Kaarina

Hasse
08-02-11, 09:47
One might bear in mind that surnames in the western part of Finland weren't actual familynames as we now understand until after the name laws in the 1920's. Before that the surnames were names connected to the homestead, names used to be able to refer to people also as the population grew when perhaps every second boy got the name Matts or Johan...

"In the beginning" the homestead probably consisted of one single farm. Maybe -in this case- the homestead went under the name of Niemi. As time went by and the population grew and more farmland was obtained the farm perhaps was split into two separate taxation units. The "new" farm often got a name that in some way connected to the original farm. The original farm perhaps got a prefix "old", "big" etc. and the newly formed "new", "small/smaller" etc. to separate them from each other both in speech and documents. – A complete different thing is if the persons living on the two farms in this example emotionally felt that they belong to the "Niemi clan" inspite of being divided into two separate taxation units and used "Niemi" in parallell?

The original farm in your case may thus have been referred to as "Isoniemi" or "Iso-Niemi". - If you dig a little you may find a neighboring farm with the name "Vähäniemi" etc. These farms may be connected in history.

My own surname was a result of this kind of a process. A new farm and a new house was built for one of the sons in the family. Of couse people in the village started to refer to the house/homestead as "nygård", or in my case "nygååln" in dialectal speach, ie. "the new house/farm". The church registered the homestead name "Nygård" as a separate entity in the communion book - on a separate page at some point. Thus the people at that farm were referred to as NN (at) Nygård.

Hasse

June Pelo
08-02-11, 17:48
Good explanation, Hasse.

wendy
09-02-11, 02:12
Hello Hasse

Thanks for the explanation - makes it easier to understand what may have happened. On another note - my Grandfather's last name was Uusi-Kolli, he, with his family, move from Ypaja to Somero in 1897, when they returned to Ypaja in 1899 their last name was Salminen. He was a trained/educated milkmaid - or veterinary in his profession (according to the translation). The info I have that was translated from Finnish to English suggests this was a common practice - to change last names depending on where the person worked. Does this makes sense to you? Wendy

wendy
09-02-11, 02:27
Thank you - I will check out that site - I do not mind paying - it is better than being frustrated with not being able to find any info.

I have other relations in Karvia as well - Nordlund (my Gr. Grandfather Vilhelm Nordlund, Wilhelmin's husband, was born there) - though my Gr.Grandfather's brother changed his family name to Saarivirta - we have a 3rd cousin living in Karvia - Kosti Saarivirta. von Printz - Amalia von Printz was my 3x Gr. Granmother- is another family name I am researching - without much luck. My great-great and great-great-great grandparents are buried in the cemetery in Karvia. My cousin from Helsinki took pics of the sites.

Wendy

Hasse
09-02-11, 07:36
... On another note - my Grandfather's last name was Uusi-Kolli, he, with his family, move from Ypaja to Somero in 1897, when they returned to Ypaja in 1899 their last name was Salminen. He was a trained/educated milkmaid - or veterinary in his profession (according to the translation). The info I have that was translated from Finnish to English suggests this was a common practice - to change last names depending on where the person worked. Does this makes sense to you? Wendy

As said farm names were often used like surnames, but they referred to a person’s place of residence. Your grandfather lived at Uusi-Kölli and when he moved, he probably would use the name of the new farm as a surname.

The Salminen surname could be the name of the farm where he came from in Ypäjä or it could be a new adopted surname. The -nen suffix hints that this surname could be of the latter type. However not knowing the specifics of the Ypäjä area and the farms in question this is strict speculation from my side. Surnames however were starting to get fixed late in 1800's/early 1900's.

The veterinary as a profession sounds a little special in my ears since there probably weren't that many veterinarys around in the 1800's. Also, I would argue that in case he had that kind of a profession he probably wouldn't have changed his name according to where he lived. What was the original profession used in the original sources in Swedish or Finnish?

wendy
09-02-11, 09:07
Hello - sorry I am having a blank moment - do you mean was the document in Finnish? In the introduction to the "Salminen Famly History" my Gr. Grandfather's name is listed as "Ludvig Matinpoika Uusi-Kolli, synt. 23.8.1871 Perttulassa(I assume this is a place and he was born there?). I think that is why the translator said that was his last name, the translator was not Finnish but could read it (translate it). I have found a site that translates from Finnish to English which will help me with a lot of the info I have. I sure wish my Grandparents had taught us the language!

Thanks I appreciate your input - it is very helpful in understanding why/how things were done.

Wendy

Jaska Sarell
09-02-11, 09:30
In the introduction to the "Salminen Famly History" my Gr. Grandfather's name is listed as "Ludvig Matinpoika Uusi-Kolli, synt. 23.8.1871 Perttulassa(I assume this is a place and he was born there?).
Perttulassa = in Perttula (old name for Ypäjä).
He was actually born on 23 September 1871 (http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/ypaja/syntyneet_1863-1885_mko15-20/48.htm).
His parents and other family in communion book for 1870-1879 (http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/ypaja/rippikirja_1870-1879_mko7-12/102.htm).
Later books up to 1901 available for FFHA members only.

:) Jaska

wendy
09-02-11, 09:41
Hello - sorry, September is correct - typo - it is 1:30 am here in Canada. Is FFHA a pay site available in english for anyone to join? I would be interested in looking up more information on the Salminen family.

Thanks, Wendy

wendy
09-02-11, 10:09
Hello again - I clicked on the highlighted areas of your reply and was very interested to see my Gr. Granmother's last name - Lahteenmaki on 1870-1879 Kuva 102. It is another name I am having trouble researching. I did see the name Ludvig on both pages. I have found out that both the Great Grandparents are buried in a cemetery in Ypaja but there is no longer any cross or markings on their sites.

Thanks again, Wendy

Jaska Sarell
09-02-11, 11:01
Is FFHA a pay site available in english for anyone to join?

Sorry, that I forgot the link to the FFHA main page (http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/index_eng.htm).
The older church books are free for everybody. Only newer church records (appr. 125 to 100 years old) and some other material are for members.
Not everything is in English, but you'll soon learn what the titles mean.

:) Jaska

June Pelo
09-02-11, 18:16
For informational purposes, I'm attaching an article about names in Finland.

I'm replacing the rtf document with a link to June's same article on the SFHS website (http://finlander.genealogia.fi/sfhswiki/index.php/Names)/Hasse

wendy
09-02-11, 22:49
I would like to thank Hasse, Jaska, Karen and Kaarina for your responses to my questions. Your explanations have 'turned the light on' so to speak. Also thanks for the links. If anyone thinks of or comes across anything that could assist me in my search - please let me know, I need all the help I can get - this family history search is certainly a 'learning experience". Thanks again - Wendy (Salminen)