PDA

View Full Version : Herman Pettersson (18 June 1884, Backsbacka, Purmo-11 Nov 1914)

David Bawden
16-02-11, 02:37
I've trying to figure out when a relative came to America. I searched Ellis Island and didn't find any record of him. Is there somewhere else I could look to figure out when and where he went? He eventually returned to Purmo, bought a farm and married in 1907 Anna Lovisa Andersdotter (5 sep 1885-20 Sep 1915 Härmälä, Purmo) and had four kids. They had short but very adventure filled lives!

BessemerFinn
06-04-11, 18:02
Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945 about Herman Pettersson
Name: Herman Pettersson
Arrival Date: 10 May 1903
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Ethnic Background: Swedish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Friesland
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Gustaf Pettersson
Last Residence: Pederson
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_42

The passenger list shows that Herman Pettersson was from Pedersöre, a neighboring parish to Purmo. He was going to join brother Gustaf Pettersson in Salt Lake City, UT

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 about Herman Pettersen
Name: Herman Pettersen
Birth Date: abt 1884
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 6 Apr 1907
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Ship Name: Etruria
Search Ship Database: View the 'Etruria' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: American Line
Official Number: 91187

David Bawden
07-04-11, 01:21
Many thanks BessemerFinn,

This is consistent with what I know about his time in the US (four years). After he returned to Finland, bought a farm, married, had four children and died at the age of 30 from TB. His wife died less than a year later from the same. His kids were put up for adoption. Hard times.

Question: did it note that this Gustaf was his brother or a friend? I do not believe he had a brother by that name.

How did you find this information? Is it available on line or through a paid subscription like Ancestry.com? (always trying t learn)

BessemerFinn
07-04-11, 15:11
For the Herman Pettersson who went to Salt Lake City, Gustaf Pettersson is shown as a brother.
And the information came from Ancestry.com

Also...

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956 about Herman Petterson
Name: Herman Petterson
Arrival Date: 10 Nov 1901
Port of Arrival: St Albans, Vermont, United States
Ship Name: Corinthian
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Birth Date: abt 1883
Race/Nationality: Finnish
Record Type: Manifests

Going to Republic, MI

Karen Norwillo
07-04-11, 17:23
Here's the 2 manifests for Herman.

David Bawden
07-04-11, 19:22
hmmm, seeing the originals documents is always helpful. Thanks Karen. That Canadian crossing entry is plausible as well but I'll have to Salt Lake City entry on hold for now but the British entry going back to Finland is consistent. Again, thank you for your assistance.

BessemerFinn
08-04-11, 03:03
Sorry...I should have attached the passenger lists.
Here's the one for the arrival of Herman Petterson, Quebec, Canada, 10.11.1901 (line 24)

K-G Molander
22-04-11, 06:22
Could this be a relation?

Utah Burials Results
Burial Information: PETTERSON, GUS
Birth: //1868
Death: 11/21/1889
Burial: 11/21/1889

Place of Birth: FINLAND
Place of Death: SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH

Cause of Death:
Grave Location: Salt Lake City Cemetery , REM1822
Source:
Comments: Mt. Olivet

David Bawden
22-04-11, 16:06
Hi Karl-Gustav,

Thank you for the information. I don't think this is a relative of mine at this time.

You may be interested in a book I am writing on the Peterson/Nylund family. I think we are related on the Nylund side ehh? I will post it in December on my Facebook page, send hardback copies back to Finland and the SFHS library, and have it available on CD. When it is done I'll give notice here on the Finlander.

Dave