PDA

View Full Version : Wirtanen, Erikila search

Boomer
23-02-11, 18:51
My grandparents were August Wirtanen and Mini (sp?) Erkila. They both emigrated and settled on Drummond Island, Michigan and married 16 Jan 1913 at Maxton, Drummond Island, Chippewa Co., Michigan.

Mini b. 15 Dec 1876 in Finland d. 18 Nov 1956 at Manistique, Mi. Mini's parents were Mike and Elizabeth Erkila. No other info on Mini.

August b. 24 Jan 1871 at Mikkelin Laani, Finland d. 28 Oct 1938 at Drummond Island, Mi. August's parents were father unkown. mother's name was Alberta.
From a book Islands of the Manitou "August Wirtanen, from Kellososkela, arrived on a boat from the Soo with a group in May 1905".

For those who don't know the Soo is Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan or Ontario depending on which side of the river you are on. Apparently he was in the group headed by Maggie Walz, a political activist of the time.

From the Migration Institute website I found an August that I thought matched my grandfather.

Last name Wirtanen
First names August
Age or age class 31
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Sault Ste. Marie
State of destination ON
Country of destination CDN
Price of ticket FIM 251
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 01.03.1902
Ship from England* (means the data was not stated)
Date of departure from England 99.99.9999 (means the data was not stated)
Ocean Line Allan Line
Port of departure in England * (means the data was not stated)
List and page 24/21

I have been to the Hiski website but not fully understanding the Finnish naming conventions and having no knowledge of the language or the geography, I really haven't had much success. I'm hoping to find individuals that will help me understand and translate for me.

I do remember that when I was a small child that my mother would occasionally send and receive correspondence from cousins in Finland.

This is the sum total I know of either of my grandparents prior to their settling in the U.S. Looking for any information since what I have is next to nothing.

Thanks,

Jim