PDA

View Full Version : Words on the top of RK pages

D J Granlund
10-03-11, 21:53
I have made literal translations of the following but the essence of the terms escapes me. Skatte 5/6 mantal and Krono 11/24 mantal. These phrases are often but not always found under the farm name on the top of the page. Could someone that understands these and their significance please explain what one should understand from them? Thanks, David.

June Pelo
10-03-11, 23:33
Skatte 5/6 mantal and Krono 11/24 mantal. Skatte means tax - Krono refers to the Crown. Mantal is a bit difficult to explain. It's a value unit of the property, not a size measurement. In the 1500s when Gustav Vasa was the king, he needed taxes. Mantal consists of 2 words: Man and Tal = man and tal (number). I think one mantal meant the property could support 1 man/family. There were a few large farms at that time that were taxed for 1 mantal; usually it was 1/4, 1/2, and smaller amounts. The tax authority determined the value of the property and accordingly the owner paid taxes (grain and fish mostly) to the king.

D J Granlund
11-03-11, 17:13
Thank You Cousin June. My guess was pretty close to the reality. David

D J Granlund
13-03-11, 16:46
In another instance I find a trop listed as yli and then ali as in Mattilla Yli or Mattila Ali. I understand they are separate but were they split in an earlier time? What is the significance, if any, for these designations? Thanks, David

June Pelo
13-03-11, 17:01
I don't understand the meaning of the Finnish words yli and ali - maybe someone else can explain..

Tapio Rautio
13-03-11, 17:05
Yli is upper-, Ali is lower.

:)

Tapio

D J Granlund
13-03-11, 17:40
Thanks Tapio, but can one think upper and lower were previously undivided? Or is this just locational?

Tapio Rautio
13-03-11, 17:51
David, not knowing the details of Your case, but i would say yes, in common
the farms divided to several from one.

Tapio