PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of "Löse gifte personer"

Ron Helin
04-04-11, 21:24
What does a person have to be or accomplish to be listed in the 'Löse gifte personer" section that appears near the end of many a rippikirja ?

My Swedish-English dictionary fails to contain an entry for "löse." And to judge from the meaning of the Swedish verb 'lösa", a "löse gifte personer" is a married person who is loose, released, paid for, dissolved, or solved--none of which makes much sense.

Am I correct in assuming that a wife and/or children who have lost their father are classified as "löse gifte personer"? And if this, indeed, is the case, why aren't they listed under the name of a farm? And how for how long will they be treated as "löse gifte personer"?

Hasse
04-04-11, 23:26
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the list "at the end" of a communion book is a "compilation" of couples and singles that neither had a farm nor continuously were living and working at a farm. Often one could speak about quite poor people. They were "loose" in the sense that they weren't connected to a farm, to a household or help to craftmen etc.

Any better explanation?

Hasse

June Pelo
05-04-11, 00:54
Hasse,

That's always been my understanding, too. In the book I have on Nedervetil parish, the pages after each farm listing are entitled: Torpare, inhysingar och backstugusittare and then pages for Pigor och Drängar. I noticed that many of them went to "Amerika."

sune
05-04-11, 13:15
"Löst folk" means vagrants. I.e. they weren't conncted to a farm or any propery and they didn't have any profession. The list of torpare, inhysingar och backstugusittare (crofters, lodgers and renters of a cottage) were connected to a farm. The communion book often has marked the farm number in connection to these people.
But I am puzzled about the names that are in alphabetical order at the end of many communion books. E.g my mother's great grandfather Anders Backlund was a ship's mate in Jakobstad. I found him in the census book at a certain block and property of the town, but in the communion book he was listed among the "alphabetizised" people on the last pages of the book. He had a profession and he had some wealth; he was definitely not a vagrant. Maybe he was a lodger? I haven't been able to find a plausible explanation to why he wasn't listed according to where he lived. Does anyone know?

Ron Helin
06-04-11, 18:33
Thanks for the replies. So much for the "löse" and the "personer." The "gifte," I assume, indicates that the persons so described were the
dependents of deceased heads of households or families.

Jaska Sarell
06-04-11, 19:33
gifte means married.
Unmarried persons not attached to any particular farm were probably listed under drengar (farm hands) and pigor (maids).
As they changed the farm where they worked almost every year, that saved the parish clerk time, ink and valuable space in the records. The practice varied in different parishes as some recorded every movement under the farms.

:) Jaska