PDA

View Full Version : Russian archives

Gunnel
19-01-04, 09:39
Hi Cooper or someone else!

Any suggestion how to proceede when I like to get in touch with an archive in Russia?
Would like to find more information about my g-grandfather who was borned i Jaroslaw, Russia in 1854.
Two years ago I wrote to State Archive of Yaroslavl, but I didn't get any answer. Probably the language was the problem?

Grateful for any help in advance.

Gunnel

granskare
22-01-04, 02:28
http://www.mtu-net.ru/rrr/russia.htm

Perhaps this place might be more responsive?
Good luck,
Chuck

Gunnel
22-01-04, 09:33
Hi Chuck!

Thanks for your suggestion, but if was just the site you mentioned, from which I found the State archive of Yaroslav.

Gunnel

granskare
22-01-04, 20:28
I ought to have realized that you might have found that snailmail address online so I suppose the only thing remaining is to travel to that place and see for yourself.

Chuck

Cooper
24-01-04, 09:03
Originally posted by Gunnel
...Any suggestion how to proceede when I like to get in touch with an archive in Russia? ...

Hi, Gunnel,

Sorry to be so slow with answering.
Probably you could write a letter (an ordianary sheet of paper in an enevlope) to them. Here in Russia there are still many people who do not work on-line. That could be the reason. Normally these institutions answer promptly. At least, from what I know.

Do you have the Archive's address or would you like me to find it out for you?

Regards,

Gunnel
24-01-04, 09:21
:confused:

Hi Cooper and thanks. Actually I wrote a letter (an oridinary one), address: State Archive of Yaroslavl Region, Sovetskaya 68, 150003 Yaroslovl, Russia! The letter was of course in english. Any ideas what to do next?

Gunnel

Cooper
24-01-04, 09:54
Hi, Gunnel,

Did you send the letter a long time ago?
It takes the letters quite a while to get here sometimes!

:)

Gunnel
24-01-04, 15:31
:(

Hi Cooper!

As you can see from my request regarding this matter, I sent the letter two years ago.

Gunnel

Cooper
24-01-04, 16:33
Hi, Gunnel,

During the day today I have made several phone calls to my academic friends and found a man who has some contacts in Yaroslavl. He promised to make a call to another man who could be helpful.

It might take some time (probably less than two years, but still), as the situation is literally the following: I am asking a man who will ask a man to ask a man to ask the people in Yaroslavl.

Still. it is worth trying, is it not?

Cooper
24-01-04, 16:34
Hi, Gunnel, it is me, again.

What kind of information do you need.

What was the name of your g-grandfather.

Gunnel
25-01-04, 11:18
:D

Hi Cooper!

THANKS! Yes, of course it is worth trying, here is my story:

Ignati Petrovitsch Fabritschnikoff, borned in Jaroslav 1854, married to Alexandra Ivanovna, borned 1869. I think they had at least three children.
I am especially interested in:

Pavel Ignatieff Fabritschnikoff, borned 14.12.1888 Jaroslav.He was my grandfather! He was married to Anna Marus from Helsinki, borned 27.11.1885. They went married in Helsinki 3.2.1913.

I would like to know when and why the Fabritschnikoff-family came to Finland, and how! I know that Pavel and his wife Anna went back to Jaroslaw with two children (one of them my father) in 1918. Anna came back to Helsinki with their two children in 1922 and with a special permission from the president of Finland at that time (Ståhlberg), she managed to get her husband back to Helsinki in 1924.

What happened between 1918-1924 in Yaroslaw? What happened to the other sisters or brothers?

Any information would be of great help. Please send my best regards to the man who knows a man who knows a man...:D

Gunnel

Cooper
25-01-04, 14:13
Hi, Gunnel,

I believe the information about the people can be found (at least their address, profession, some other details) but certinly not what is concerned with Finland.

I know a man from Sweden who looked for his ancestors in Russia and he spent several years collecting the material about them but they all lived and worked in Russia all the time.

OK, we shall try. I will let you know when I have results.

Regards,

Gunnel
25-01-04, 15:04

Hi!

Once again, A BIG THANKS!

Good luck!

Best regards
Gunnel

Cooper
25-01-04, 16:39
No need to say thanks now. It is too early.

Regards,

Gita Wiklund
26-01-04, 10:25
Hi Cooper,

I have only one question for you. Do you know what archive have information about people born in Baku in 1907?

Gita

Cooper
26-01-04, 17:16
Dear Gita,

It is a pity you have only one question. I could eagerly answer even two (if I could).

The fact is that Baku used to be part of the USSR and it was much easier to find information there.
Now that Azerbaijan is a separate state, we do not have many contacts with them. At least people whom I know.

But they should have some kind of archives there, too.
I am not sure whether they have a state archive or a municipal one.
I will try to make a couple of calls today. If I can find the man whom I am thinking about right now, I will at least try to find out about the archive.

Probably you can try searching in the Internet with the key-words that could help?

Gita Wiklund
26-01-04, 18:27
Hi Cooper,

It is a pity you have only one question. I could eagerly answer even two (if I could).

Thanks, thats very nice! :)

Probably you can try searching in the Internet with the key-words that could help?

Yes, I tried and gave up. Internet provided with some information in the matter though, but I would like to know who the parents were to a man born in Baku. His name was Otto Lindblad and he was married to my grandfathers sister. He spoke russian fluently, as well as swedish, but his last name is swedish so I guess his father was not originally russian. Maybe he went there to work. Perhaps his mother was russian. Anyway, I know that Azerbaijan is a separate state now, so donīt try too hard to help me. I thought that since it used to be russia there could be information in a russian central archive or so.

Gita

Cooper
27-01-04, 21:04
Dear Gita,

I am sorry to inform you that I made the calls I intended to and all in vain. I have no contacts in Baku or Azerbaijan.
I hoped that a man whom I deal with from time to time has these contacts but he also can not help.

I am really sorry.

Sincerely,

:confused:

Gita Wiklund
27-01-04, 21:44
Itīs okey Cooper. Thanks for trying anyway. And donīt be sorry, itīs really no hurry, Iīll find out in time. :)

Cooper
28-01-04, 17:52
Dear Gita,

Still,I am sorry I cannot help.
But I am always here at your disposal.

Good lick in your search!

Faithfully,