PDA

View Full Version : Lindströmin piihvi (Lindström patties)

Gunnar Damström
15-04-11, 01:43
This is a very popular dish in all of Finland. Don’t ask me who Lindström is or was- I don’t have the foggiest idea. Maybe a Finlander member could educate us? To serve four:

1 Lb. ground lean meat
1-2 eggs (alt. 4 egg yolks)
2-3 medium boiled potatoes
2-3 boiled beets
½ cup water or heavy cream
White- or black pepper
Salt
4 tbsp capers
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced

1.Mix the ground meet, beets and potato in a food processor. Add the egg(s) or yolks and season with capers, pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly. Add fluid if desired. Form patties by hand (dip hand in cold water).
2.Sautee the sliced onion in some safflower or other vegetable oil over a low-medium heat until soft and translucent (15 minutes). Set aside and keep warm
3.Brown the patties in a frying pan over a high heat on both sides; reduce the heat and bake on a low-medium heat until done.

Heap onion rings on top of the patties. Serve with steamed vegetables. For ground meat, use beef, lamb, venison or moose.

June Pelo
15-04-11, 02:14
Biff à la Lindström, first created by chef Henrik Lindström in 1862, has become a perennial Swedish favorite. Form small patties about the size of half-dollars to serve as an appetizer on a buffet table, or make hamburger-sized patties and top, like the Swedes do, with a fried egg. Pickled beets and capers make these burgers truly unique.

My recipe is similar to yours, but uses cold mashed potatoes, horseradish, onion dressing, chopped dill pickle, etc.