PDA

View Full Version : Family not found

Colleen
19-01-04, 22:00
I am looking for any information on my great grandparents, Math (b. 24.02.1872) and Amelia (b.08.11.1872) Kultala. They came to America in 1890's. I can not find anything on them in the in teh passport or passenger lists. I also cannot find anything on them on the EllisIsland. I did find them in a few of the Census for Minnesota. One year they had the last name as Kultanen. My mom insists that Amelia's last name was Hietala, but her death certificate says that her father is Peter Ruikka. This has been one of the hardest brick walls I have hit. Can anyone throw suggestions my way?
Thanks,
Colleen

granskare
20-01-04, 01:25
Hello and welcome to sfhs!

I don't know what method you used to search the Finnish site but if their names were not spelled as you have them or transcribed wrongly, it might work better to begin looking for people with last name just the letter k and first name letter m which just might lead you to more possibilities. They wouldn't show up at Ellis if they traveled before 1892 and of course they could have traveled to Boston or Philadelphia. Is the first name Mathias? Do you have a Finnish town where they came from?

Chuck

Belva Todd
20-01-04, 04:26
Colleen, Found Amelia Kultala d.3 Jun 1917 St. Louis Co., Minnesota. There several with that name, mostly St.Louis and Carlton Co. which is right next to St. Louis Co. www.mnhs.org/about/support/index
Good Luck, Belva

kiovaa
20-01-04, 04:33
here are the search results from the "LDS site"
it does give some variations in spellings.
.................................................. .................................

You searched for: Math Kultala [refine search]
Exact Spelling: Off
Matches: All Sources - 9
International Genealogical Index - Finland
1. Matthias Johansson Kuldala - International Genealogical Index / FI

2. Matthias Kuldala - International Genealogical Index / FI

3. Matthias Johansson Kuldala - International Genealogical Index / FI

4. Matthias Kuldala - International Genealogical Index / FI

5. Matthias Kuldala - International Genealogical Index / FI

6. Matthias Kuldala - International Genealogical Index / FI
Gender: Male Christening: 27 JUL 1768 Langelmaki, Hame, Finland

7. MATTHIAS KULDALA - International Genealogical Index / FI
Gender: Male Christening: 09 SEP 1794 Saloinen, Oulu, Finland

8. MATHIAS KULTALA - International Genealogical Index / FI
Gender: Male Christening: 27 MAY 1849 Saloinen, Oulu, Finland

Matches: International Genealogical Index/Finland - 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Social Security Death Index
9. Matt KULTALA - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 15 Jan 1886 State Where Number was Issued: Minnesota Death: Apr 1964

Matches: U.S. Social Security Death Index - 1

happy hunting

kiovaa
20-01-04, 05:01
if you are using a death certificate
for a verification of a name
be mindfull they are not alway correct.
remember these people were under duress
and often the informant may not get it correct.
my gg fathers death cert was wrong.
due to the informant.
the record the town kept
in the place of residence was also wrong
due to language barriers. spelling what "they"
the record keeper "hears", can be
a far cry from what the name actually is,
and informants.

here is a match for the H name
birth isnt the same year.

AMALIA ELIAKSENPOIKA HIETALA
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 20 JUN 1876

Christening: 24 JUN 1876 Virolahti, Viipuri, Finland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: ANTTON ELIAKSENPOIKA HIETALA Family
Mother: MARIA ERIKINTYTAR

here is a listing LDS also,
for Hjetela

~~~~~
Amalia Fredrika ABRAHAMSDR HJETALA
Sex: <F>

Marriage:
Spouse: Karl NIKODEMUSSON STRENG
Marriage: 28 Jul 1861 Place: Tampere, Hame, Finland

Source Information:
Batch Number: M450522
Source Dates: 1800 - 1882
Film or Fiche Number: 57226
Collection Details: Tuomiokirkko; Suomen Kirkko

Colleen
21-01-04, 19:36
Originally posted by granskare
Hello and welcome to sfhs!

I don't know what method you used to search the Finnish site but if their names were not spelled as you have them or transcribed wrongly, it might work better to begin looking for people with last name just the letter k and first name letter m which just might lead you to more possibilities. They wouldn't show up at Ellis if they traveled before 1892 and of course they could have traveled to Boston or Philadelphia. Is the first name Mathias? Do you have a Finnish town where they came from?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
I do not have a town for either of them in Finland. I was told his name was Matti, but when I found him in one of the Census' for MN, he had Math down. So I really don't know. Thanks for your help!
Colleen

Colleen
21-01-04, 19:38
Originally posted by Belva Todd
Colleen, Found Amelia Kultala d.3 Jun 1917 St. Louis Co., Minnesota. There several with that name, mostly St.Louis and Carlton Co. which is right next to St. Louis Co. www.mnhs.org/about/support/index
Good Luck, Belva

Thanks, Belva. This is the certificate that I got the information that Amelias father was Peter Ruikka. I was hoping that it was correct, because Math put it down on it.

Colleen
21-01-04, 19:41
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kiovaa
[B]
U.S. Social Security Death Index
9. Matt KULTALA - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 15 Jan 1886 State Where Number was Issued: Minnesota Death: Apr 1964

Thank you Kiovaa. This is a different Matt Kultala. He is from Cloquet MN. I had him confused with the Kultala's I am looking for.
Colleen

Colleen
21-01-04, 23:29
I have been searching the census all morning, well viewing every page to find something in 1900. I did find out that Matt has the last name spelled Kuluta or Kulutu. Also found a bit of different information, that in the census he has his birthdate as June of 1871 and Amelias name as Mary and her birthdate as April 1873. So, I am back to square one. Months and years with no date. LOL I think that my great-grandfather wants me to be searching for his roots for the rest of my life! ;)
Colleen

granskare
22-01-04, 00:21
Hi Colleen,
You should not depend upon the census taker for spelling.
My grandfather, Victor Maki, was listed as Victor Makki and other grandfather, Karl Kujansuu had his spelled Koiyonsun or something like that.
Those Finns had really thick accents and it must have been difficult to figure out what they were saying.
I have seen a church record where the Swedish name Dahlbacka was recorded as Dahlpakka by a Finnish speaking person :)
Good luck with your searches!
Chuck

Mark V. Hillman
22-01-04, 05:46
Here is a Finnish family list to try, with Amelia's name on it plus lots of contributions by hkultala%40kotinet.com

Perhaps you haven't seen this one yet.

Good luck,

Mark

Colleen
26-01-04, 18:12
Since I have been searching the census, I have come up with different years of when Matt Kultala was born:

The 1930 census says that he is 52 years, which would mean he was born in 1878.
The 1920 census says that he is 47 years, which would mean he was born in 1873.
The 1900 census says that he is born in 1871.
He death certificate says that he was born in 1872.

And from what I have found on him, which is absolutely nothing, I am assuming that his last name in Finland was not Kultala.

Does anyone have a way of figuring this out?? I am really confused now!!!!
:confused:

Bob Ojala
15-02-04, 02:29
Many Finlanders & Sewdes coming to Minnesota came through Canada. The agent who lined up travel to Minnesota, apparently had a deal with the Canadian railroad, through what is now, Thunder Bay, Ontario, accross Lake Superior from Duluth.

After several years of looking in Ellis Island records, because my aunts told me that grandma had come through New York, we found a story translated from my grandmother, telling of her trip to Canada, and then from there to Minnesota by train. She started out in Franklin, MN, out West somewhere, then moved to Duluth area, where she met my grandfather.

Take a look at that possibility.

Bob Ojala

granskare
15-02-04, 03:27
http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/fall_2000_us_canada_immigration_records_1.html

The text below was copy/pasted from the url above about immigration by way of Canada.
Chuck

"...A large number of immigrants came to the United States via Canada during the mid- and late nineteenth century, and for them there is no U.S. immigration record. They landed in Canada where no U.S. officer met them or recorded information about their arrival in the United States. The always-growing number of immigrants who chose this route in the late 1800s
finally convinced the United States, in 1894, to build and operate the bureaucratic machinery necessary to document the many thousands who each year entered at points along its northern border."

jeanette
14-03-04, 00:00
Hi Colleen,
I noticed you didn't have the 1910 census amongst your list so I searched the Heritage Quest Scandinavians in the 1910 US Federal Census cd for Surname beginning with K and Given Name beginning with Ma. These were the results for Heads of Household in MN b. Fin 38 & 39. Hopefully your Matt is one of these.

KALLINEN Matt 38 St Louis, Mesaba Twp 723 2 69 A
KODER Matt 38 Aitkin, Clark Twp 689 1 47 A
KEELLALAN Matt 38 St Louis, Breitung Twp 722 2 91 A
KERO Matt 38 St Louis, 1-WD Ely 722 2 221 A
KLAMALA Matt 38 St Louis, Stuntz Twp 723 2 172 A
KORBY Matti 39 St Louis, Hibbing 723 2 254 A
KALTIAN Mat 39 St Louis, 62-Twp Range 17 724 1 205 A
KYORALTI Matt 39 St Louis, Missabe Mtn Twp 723 1 245 A

Let me know if he isn't one of these and I can try again!

Jeanette

Colleen
08-04-04, 03:21
Hi Jeanette,
When I went through all the 1910 files, I think that this is him:

KALTIAN Mat 39 St Louis, 62-Twp Range 17 724 1 205 A

I have found that they have used many different spellings in the last name!

I did learn that my Great grandmother moved to OtterTail when she first came here and lived with her family. There are a ton of Kultala's in New York Mills, so I was wondering if they had taken my grandmothers name, and she was Kultala and my great grandfather was hietala?
Colleen

Thank you to everyone who has posted here to help me!:)