PDA

View Full Version : Riitta (Britha) Maija (Mary) Antint. Ainali Saralampi Wilson

Eldon
26-05-11, 01:32
My grandmother's sister was Riitta (Britha) Maija Antint. Ainali Saralampi born 13 June 1867 in Himanka, Finland. She emigrated to Michigan USA in 1885. In 1886 she married Henry Johnson who was born about 1871 in Finland and appears to have died before 1910 in Richmond Township, Marquette County, Michigan, USA.

She appears to have taken on the name Mary Wilson and appears with her children in the Richmond County 1900 and 1910 US census. The name change to Johnson? or Wilson is not explained. The 15 December 1949 obituary of sister Gustava Jacobson listed Mrs. Wilson of Ashtabula, Ohio as a surviving sister.

No information on the moved from Michigan to Ohio is known nor the history of her children born between 1888 and 1906 - Ida, Matt, Emil, Jennie, Seline, Mayme, and Raymond (Johnson?) Wilson.

Does any of this information ring a bell with anyone?

Eldon

BessemerFinn
26-05-11, 14:46
The 1900 US Census shows Henry Johnson, wife Mary and 5 children. Ida, Matt and Emil are shown with the last name Wilson; while twins Selina and Jennie have the last name Johnson.

The 1910 US Census shows Mary Wilson as a widow, having given birth to 8 children, 6 of whom were still alive. 5 of those children are living with Mary and the 6th must be Emil. Mayme and Jennie are the same age, 9. So I think Mayme and Selina are the same person.

The attached shows a Family Tree from Ancestry.com for Ida Sophia Wilson, born Dec 1888, MI. US Census for 1900 through 1930 are attached to that Tree. The 1900 and 1910 census are those showing Ida Wilson with her mother Mary and siblings Mat, Emil, Selina/Mayme, Jennie and Raymond.

FamilySearch.org shows Ida Wilson, age 28 and Isaac Wendell, age 32, were married 7.6.1917, Calumet, MI. Ida's parents are shown as Matt Wilson and Mary Maki (marriage record attached).

Also attached are the 1920 and 1930 US Census showing Ida (Wilson) Wendell.

Eldon
27-05-11, 16:51
The data looked promising but the name of this Ida Wilson's father in the marriage record - Matt Wilson doesn't fit our Ida's father - Henry Johnson. In the census data there are several Wilson families. Perhaps Wilson became a common English surname taken on by Finns. Or are there two marriages involved - Johnson and Wilson.

Eldon

BessemerFinn
27-05-11, 19:18
Hi Eldon,

I was surprised but Institute of Migration has 4 pages of Finnish people who emigrated to America with the last name Wilson.

Based on the names in the 1900 US Census, I think Mary was married twice...first to Wilson and then a second time to Henry Johnson.

In October 1899, Mary Aili Sissala, age 32, parents Erik Sissala and Mary Ranta, married Henry Johnson, age 38, in Ishpeming, MI. The record shows that this was Mary's second marriage. The age is right for Mary, but Henry's age does not match the birth date of June 1871, shown in the 1900 Census. And I have not been able to find a previous marriage for Mary.

The file size of the marriage record apparently prohibits me from attaching it here. But if this is the correct Mary, I will send you the record privately.

Also...I can't understand why in 1910, Mary is the widow of Henry Johnson, but using the last name Wilson. And why Selina/Mayme, Jennie and Raymond, presumed to be children of Henry Johnson, now have the name Wilson. But I have seen more strange entries in the US Census.

Do you know what name Mary used when she came to America? Maybe I can find an immigration record for her and work forward from that.

Best Regards,
Al Puromaki
Poland, OH

BessemerFinn
27-05-11, 20:36
Mary Sissala, age 18 and Matt Wilson, age 23 were married 29.3.1886, Negaunee, MI

BessemerFinn
28-05-11, 01:43
Eldon,

In thinking about this, I'm now wondering if Mary (Sissala) (married Wilson) (married Johnson) widowed Wilson is the mother of Ida, Mat, Emil, Selina/Mayme, Jennie and Raymond...but not the sister of your grandmother.

How do you know that your grandmother's sister is the Mary Johnson/Wilson shown in the 1900 and 1910 US Census and the mother of those children?

Al

Eldon
28-05-11, 05:24
The link to Mary Wilson was made by others doing similar Michigan census research on our behalf and made the reasonable assumption that this was the same Mrs. Wilson who later moved to Ashtabula, Ohio. She was named Riitta Maija Ainali prior to emigrating to USA following her mother's death in 1885. Her younger siblings became "auction children". However you are asking some valid questions. How Riitta Maija Ainali became the Mrs. Wilson in my grandmother's obit could easily have followed a different path.

Eldon

Eldon
09-06-11, 19:26
I think my research on Riitta (Britha) Maija Antint. Ainali Saralampi born 13 June 1867 in Himanka, Finland has gone off track. The only fact that I do know is the 15 December 1949 obituary of sister Gustava Jacobson listing Mrs. Wilson of Ashtabula, Ohio as a surviving sister.

Perhaps someone can find Riitta (Britha) Maija Ainali's emigration to USA likely after her mother's death 17 February 1885. Her father Anders Ainali was already living in Wisconsin or Minnesota at that time.

I need a starting point in the USA. Then we can try and figure out how and when she became Mrs. Wilson.

Thanks again Eldon

Karen Norwillo
10-06-11, 02:40
In 1900, Anders was living in Red Clover, Carlton, MN, a widower. In 1900 in Ashtabula, OH is a William and Maria Wilson. She was born Finland, says US 1886, married 1889. There are 4 children, first one, Anna, is 13 born 1887, so she isn't Maria's, but the rest are. Could this be the Maria you're looking for? The timeline with her mother's death fits.
She is off by one year for birth you gave, but month fits.

Karen Norwillo
10-06-11, 02:53
I found Maria Ainali's marriage to William Wilson on Family Search.com.
William Wilson married Maria Ainali 27 May 1890 in Ashtabula county, OH. Says bride single.
OhioEASy 890267, vol. J pg 83 no.3
William Wilson died 9 Sep 1922 and is buried in Edgewood Cemetery Ashtabula. Says spouse Mary Wilson.

Eldon
10-06-11, 03:47
That is a very interesting find. The names and dates fit quite well. Maria Ainali becoming Mrs. Wilson in Ashtabula certainly fits the big picture that we have as a known starting point.

Great job... Thank you

Karen Norwillo
10-06-11, 05:11
In 1910 Ashtabula, Aili Wilson is listed as Aileene and Ida is listed as Millie.
In 1920, Ashtabula, Ida M is married to George McPhilan? and has two children, John and Harry. They are living with her parents. I'm not sure that spelling of George's surname is correct, can't find them in 1930 with that spelling.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
10-06-11, 20:38
Here is William Wilson's death certificate. He drowned. From Family Search.org.

Eldon
11-06-11, 17:23
I have changed my file to reflect the new data for Britha Maija Ainali (later Mary Wilson). The marriage record of Maria Ainali to William Wilson was the most revealing piece of data.

Eldon
12-06-11, 17:42
More random notes. My brother recalls an aunt who has long past remembering Maria have a child June Irene Wilson born in Ashtabula or Toledo who married a man surname Rich and they had a daughter Anna also another daughter's name Martha Wilson has also come up in discussions. None of this has been verified and the comments were made many years ago. Never discount anything I guess - we find the answers through the most obscure lead.

BessemerFinn
13-06-11, 02:36
Eldon,

Mabel Wilson, age 22, born Ashtabula, OH, father William, mother Mary Ainali, married Eli Kekic, age 22, 14.11.1914, Cuyahoga County, OH

Mildred Wilson, age 20, father Wm, mother Mary Annela (sp), married George McFarland, age 22, 8.11.1916, Cuyahoga County, OH

BessemerFinn
13-06-11, 03:05
1930 US Census showing Mary Wilson, Head of House, age 60, born Finland, widow; George McFarland, age 35, son-in-law; Mildred McFarland, daughter, age 32; Jack McFarland, age 12, grandson; Henry McFarland, age 10, grandson. Mary Wilson owns the home at 66 Oak Street, Ashtabula, OH.

BessemerFinn
13-06-11, 03:16
Jack Wilson McFarland, born 4.12.1917, Ashtabula, OH, address 532 East 238th Street, Euclid, OH; died 4.6.1952, from injuries suffered in a collision with a tractor trailer. He was buried in Edgewood Cemetery, Ashtabula.

BessemerFinn
13-06-11, 13:21
Ohio Death Certificate for Mary Wilson, widow, born 10.6.1869, Finland, residence 1226 W. 8th Street, Ashtabula, OH; died 21.2.1952; buried in Edgewood Cemetery, Ashtabla.

Maybe your Mary Wilson???

Eldon
13-06-11, 16:47
More random notes. My brother recalls an aunt who has long past remembering Maria have a child June Irene Wilson born in Ashtabula or Toledo who married a man surname Rich and they had a daughter Anna also another daughter's name Martha Wilson has also come up in discussions. None of this has been verified and the comments were made many years ago. Never discount anything I guess - we find the answers through the most obscure lead.

Found the note: My Aunt's recollection was a daughter named Irene who was married to a man surname Rich and they had a daughter Anna. Aili (Ailie Aileene) Wilson was one of the names posted by Karen. Phonetically Irene could easily be confused with Aileene.

Karen Norwillo
13-06-11, 21:44
So that surname was McFarland, not McPhilan. That makes sense. Didn't sound right to me when I saw it. The children's names match.

Eldon
19-06-11, 19:12
Here is summary of the data that has been provided by all of you on Maria's immediate family. Most fits but there are a couple conflicts just to challenge us a bit bit more.

William Wilson b. Abt. 1860 Oslo, Norway d. 09 September 1922 Ashtabula, Ohio, USA Edgewood Cemetery, Ashtabula, OH, USA

Britha Maija (Maria) Antint. Ainali Saralampi b. Bet. 13 June 1867 - 1869 Himanka, Finland d. 21 February 1952 Ashtabula, Ohio, USA Edgewood Cemetery, Ashtabula, OH, USA

Married Bet. 22 May 1889 - 1890 Ashtabula county, OH, USA but official marriage record not found.

Possible 4 children (Anna doesn't quite fit)

Anna Lillian Wilson b. Bet. 13 January 1886 - 1887 Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
Mable Wilson b. Bet. 25 December 1890 - 1892 Ashtabula, Ohio, USA married to Eli Kekic
Aili (Ailie Aileene Irene Arlene) Mary Wilson b. Bet. 05 July 1894 - 1895 Ashtabula, Ohio, USA married to NN Rich
Ida Miilia (Millie Mildred) b. 03 September 1896 Wilson Ashtabula, Ohio, USA married to George (McPhilan) McFarland

Thanks again Eldon.