PDA

View Full Version : SFHS Quarterly Article re: Lodge 52: Mississippidalens Ros

Skip Sunnell
24-01-04, 16:18
Reading the last SFHS Quarterly, I noticed this article. Both my grandparents are listed as members of the Palisade, Minnesota lodge. Mrs. Alina Johnson and Arthur A. Johnson were my grandparents on my mother's (Dorothy Esther Johnson Sunnell) side.

My mother was born in Palisade, Minnesota. Left at age seventeen for Aberdeen, Washington to work as a domestic. Married my father, Verner H. Sunnell in 1938. I was born in 1939. They moved to Eugene, Oregon to follow equipment taken from the burned Aberdeen Plywood to its re-installation in a new plant called Associated Plywood. They lived in Eugene until about 1960. They then moved to Camano Island, Washington.

Skip

June Pelo
24-01-04, 19:30
Skip,

I just received my copy of the Quarterly and haven't had time to study the names listed for the Lodge. My grandmother's brother Frans Eklund lived in Palisade and I'm sure I'll recognize some of the names of members. My aunts and uncles told me that my grandmother would take a steamer to Aitkin to visit her brother Frans - and that she knew everyone in the area. There were no roads then, so she walked from farm to farm visiting the various Swede Finns.

June

Skip Sunnell
24-01-04, 21:04
Attached is a picture post card dated 6/22/1912 sent to Hugo Anderson, 507 Hemlock Street, Virginia, Minnesota. The writing is now dimmed, and probably un-decipherable. The card was written in Swedish, and sent by my grandparents, Alina and John Johnson.

Grandfather also played in a Runeburg quartet. He played base violin, trumpet, and was a good singer (bass). They were both in the temperance movement of the time. John also was a member of Palisade lodge #7 of the Oddfellows.

Skip

June Pelo
24-01-04, 22:15
Skip,

Thanks for the picture of the Palisade depot. Wish some of my relatives were alive to see it. I've had a chance to look at the list of members of Lodge 52 and picked out a few names I recognized. I'm sure I have many of the others in my database under their birth names and not their Americanized names, especially those from Karleby, Gamlakarleby and Nedervetil. I did see Georg Williamson who married my mother's cousin Jennie Eklund - she lived in Palisade. I also saw your grandparents listed.

I'm puzzled by the name Merkibacka from Nedervetil which is shown after the names of several members. I have a book listing everyone born in Nedervetil from 1725 to 1906 and Merkibacka does not appear in it. I have a hunch it should be Markusbacka.

June

syrene
25-01-04, 01:45
Dear Skip, June, and other interested parties,
I would like to continue the story of Palisade Swedish Finns in the second or third Quarterly this year. Please continue reminiscing. I hope you don't mind if I ask you questions. For example, for whom did your mother go to work, Skip? And how did these families make their livings. Did they have farms for subsistence, or for their main income?

It's really interesting how many persons of Swedish Finn origins ended up in Aberdeen/Hoquiam, WA. For example, Anders Myrhman points out that nearly every member in the dissolved Order of Runeberg Lodge of Crosby Minnesota can be found 10 years later in the Aberdeen/Hoquiam lodges!

Please continue with your stories. I look forward to them!
Syrene

granskare
25-01-04, 03:33
Just wanted to add that to collectors of railroad station picture postcards, this card is quite valuable so I hope the owner will preserve it. It looks pretty good online!
Chuck postcard collector:)

syrene
25-01-04, 17:03
And if you will scan in the script side, or send a lazer copy to me at SFHS I will attempt to translate it. I found a cousin of my maternal grandmother for her son through a tiny clue on one of the very few things preserved after my grandmother's early death: a picture of the Munsala church when the birch trees around the graveyard were about 5 feet tall.
Syrene

Skip Sunnell
25-01-04, 18:56
As requested, I've attempted to scan the script side writing. It is interesting to note the 1 cent stamp and postmark.

I don't know how my mother acquired the processed card. Perhaps the writing would explain it. It's written in blue ink, so hard to write.

I note the address has been corrected, so perhaps the card came back undeliverable, was re-addressed and was never re-sent?

Skip

Skip Sunnell
25-01-04, 19:28
I remember a Stanley Dahlquist coming from Aberdeen, Washington. I knew of him last in Bellingham. He was a friend (and probably a distant cousin in some way) to my folks. He very well could have been a relative of the Dahlquists in Palisade.

Mabel Gustafson moved to Aberdeen at about age 17 or 18. She was my mother's cousin. She married Leo Sunnell (my uncle). Both Leo and Dad worked at Aberdeen Plywood before it burned. They both moved to Eugene, Oregon with the equipment salvaged from the fire. Leo worked on the "dry end" of the plant and dad worked on the "log deck".

Arthur A. Johnson (my youngest and only surviving Johnson uncle- mother's youngest brother), was born in Palisade and moved to Eugene, Oregon after his stint in the Navy.

Mel and Elmer Johnson were also uncles from Palisade. I don't know if there was a connection for them in Aberdeen, Washington though.

Hasse Andtbacka
25-01-04, 20:52
Stanley Dahlquist was my mother's first cousin, auntie Fanny's son.
Stanley's sister Myrtley lives still in Karleby, Finland, 92 years young. She travels every year to Seattle, visiting her both children.

Hasse Andtbacka

granskare
25-01-04, 20:56
The card was forwarded from Biwabik to Virginia which is a distance of some 35-40 miles. A common practice in those days.
The Palisade postmark is also a desired cancellation so this card is good on both sides:)
Chuck

syrene
26-01-04, 16:54
Dear Skip,
This is about what it says.
"Palisade Minn
July 22, 1912
Dear brother-in-law,
Many thanks for the card (photo also sometimes) which we on the back (?got?) tohear that you have it good with the daily wages. You're doing well there this summer and it will last the whole summer. Come up here and (?) when you (?) (?) (?) (?). This last bit of the post card image is cut off, so I can't quite make it out.
Sounds like he got a summer job. I wonder if he was a logger in the winter and farm worker in the summer, or something like that. I know that the Minnesota prairie wheat ranches required huge crews every summer, and many of those men logged in the winter.
Syrene