PDA

View Full Version : Algot Verner Sten

Leo Furu
25-01-04, 23:30
A friend asked me to post a question here, if anyone know anything about his great grandfather Algot Verner Sten b. 24.2.1873 in Kvevlax, d. 1 Oct 1908 in USA probably Olympia Washington.
Algot Sten went to USA 15.3.1902 destination was Worcester MA. Any information about what Algot worked with and especially where he was buried would be valuable

Leo Furu

granskare
05-02-04, 05:54
Hi Leo,
Would you ask your friend if a church preference is known?
Worcester had 12 Swedish language churches organized before Algot arrived.
It would ease the search to have some sense here. Churches available:
2 Baptist,
2 Covenant,
5 Lutheran,
2 Methodist Episcopal,
1 Methodist.

mvh,
Chuck

Leo Furu
05-02-04, 22:01
Hi,
He think that Lutheran would be the most likely.

Leo

granskare
07-02-04, 00:07
Hi Leo,
I rechecked Gloria Dei Lutheran in Olympia because it was a Swede-Finn church and while I found people from Ívermark and Malaks/Malax and Munsala there, I did not find Algot Sten.
I also did the lutheran churches in Worcester. Bethany Lutheran is also a Swede-Finn place so I thought for sure he'd be here if anywhere but he was not there. Then I checked Emanuel Lutheran and lst Lutheran [I didn't check a couple other lutherans because they were organized later] and didn't find Algot there either.
http://www.secstate.wa.gov/archives/birthdeath.aspx
Perhaps you might be able to find somebody to check on the death of Algot.
Chuck

Leo Furu
07-02-04, 20:32
Thanks Chuck,
now we at least know that we have to seek somewhere else.

Leo

granskare
07-02-04, 21:35
I should have added that not finding Algot in these churches does not mean he was not in those cities. Only that he probably did not join a church here.
The Swenson genealogist has told me that only about 35% of emigrants joined a church in America.
Good luck with the searching and if you get any info that can help us further at Swenson, let me know.

Chuck

Leo Furu
23-01-12, 19:32
My friend is going to US next summer and he wondered if he could get any information about Algot Verner Sten.

Leo