PDA

View Full Version : Peppar Kaka

June Pelo
31-01-04, 21:18
I received a Christmas card from Sweden with a recipe for Peppar Kaka that belonged to Sara Maria Hall, 1729-1784, married to Magnus Chorin who was ennobled Crusenstolpe; Sara was the grandmother of J. M. Crusenstolpe. If you want to make this recipe but can't read the old Swedish writing, let me know and I'll give a translation :confused:

June

Margaret Rader
01-02-04, 02:38
June,

I would like a translation.

Margaret

kpaavola
01-02-04, 05:28
What is it?

;)

June Pelo
01-02-04, 17:42
I can't read that old Swedish but, thanks to Ingemar Ekman, here is the recipe:

Mix together (4 marker) honey and old beer and a half quarter of wine. Add Seville orange peel and lemon peel, sliced in small pieces, add mace, ginger and pepper and boil together; do not cook too long or it will be too sticky. Cool. Add coarsely ground rye flour until it thickens and knead dough. Form dough and put into baking pans. Cook more honey and beer and spread over dough. Bake. If the gingerbread is too hard, put it in the cellar for a while.

It doesn't sound very interesting to me. I can't figure out how it will soften in the cellar??

June

sune
01-02-04, 20:44
Originally posted by June Pelo
I can't figure out how it will soften in the cellar??

There is often a lot of moisture in the cellar. If you keep any crispy breads there they will soften because they absorbe some of the moisture. Eventually, if you keep them there long enough they will get a coating of mould on them.

Sune

Margaret Rader
03-02-04, 04:45
I made a pale imitation of this recipe for Christmas -- sort of like gingerbread cookies. It did include pepper. It suggested that after baking the cookies be stored for several weeks and allowed to ripen. This actually improved the taste quite a bit, and they did become softer. I thought they were good and different. This recipe sounds like the real stuff.

Margaret

sune
03-02-04, 13:27
Pepparkaka is in fact gingerbread or ginger cookies. In the olden days when spices where scarce and expensive "peppar" could be almost any spice. The main spice i today's ginger cookies are ginger and clove.

Sune

M. Waters
03-02-04, 17:08
Hi, June and others......I have several recipes for "pepparkakor". which is the spicy cookie so traditional at Christmas. The cookies are formed with cookie-cutters, after being rolled out quite thin. They can be decorated, or topped with an almond, as Grandma did. One recipe is in Swedish, from my grandmother, and I have others from some of my ethnic cookbooks, in english. You can buy pale imitations of pepparkakor in the Swedish stores in this country, but home made is best.
Midge.