PDA

View Full Version : Brams family of Rökiö, Vörå, Finland

Bramson
29-12-11, 18:26
I am new to the Forum and hope to find more information on the BRAMS family. I am particularly interested in going back from 1900 to the 1800's. My grandfather Matts Abramsson Brams, was born 23 Aug 1869 - d 12 Jul 1911. Is anyone out there also researching BRAMS?

Hasse
30-12-11, 08:42
You are perhaps the next person this year to hit the jackpot...

There is a lot of information re. your grandfather and his ancestry (also descendants!) in our Talko genealogy database. Several of our members have done extensive research regarding the families and farms/homesteads in Vörå. Some lines go as far as the 1500's.

I shall try to alert Torbjörn Nikus, "nikus" - a researcher who has deep knowledge of the Vörå area to read and respond to your query here on Finlander.

Happy New Year 2011

Hasse

Bramson
30-12-11, 21:49
Thank you!!! I just opened the Forum for browsing and to my surprise there was your response. I haven't absorbed all this information as yet, but look forward to studying the names. I hope that I can also find information about some of the families, where they lived, what they did for a living, and any social details to make my history of the Brams family come alive. Thanks again. I am not sure as yet how to use the Forum and post entries, so hope this response is directed to you, Hasse. And Happy New Year. Bramson

Karen Norwillo
31-12-11, 16:52
I have many of the names in my database, all through my maternal grandmother's line. Margareta Eriksdotter Brams 1706-1769 and Simon Mattsson Åkers 1705-1754 are my 5th ggrandparents and Anna Simonsdotter Knutars Ömars and Johan Molander Kejsar are my 4th ggrandparents. I have a book which traces many of the families of Vörå. Alot of help from Torbjörn Nikus, who is my 5th cousin. They say everyone in Finland is related if they search enough.

Bramson
31-12-11, 20:48
Thank you for your reply to my post. Can you please let me know the title of the book you mention. The difficulty for me is that I do not speak Swedish, but with the help of Google translator, I manage to understand enough to coninue with my research. So far I have only been concerned with my family from 1900 to the present. Now I am interested in the previous generations. I also have a book, in Swedish, "Den Osterbottniska Byn" which has been in my family since my dad came to Canada in1925. In this book there is a photograph of my dad's sister, Edith, sitting in their home reading. I understand that their home in Rökiö was a typical very old Finnish homestead. I am in contact with a second cousin in Jakobstad who helps me out when I am in difficulty. Nancy Egles (Brams)

Karen Norwillo
01-01-12, 15:59
Nancy,
The book I refer to was compiled in 2005 by a lovely lady I met in 2004 in Vörå. Her name is Ruth Hannuksela and it's
entitled "Josskarhu Forss-Seiplax Släkten Suku 1500-2005" It is all lists of names, dates, places. Only picture is an aerial
view of the area. I don't read Swedish or Finnish except for general genealogy terms. I know Torbjörn Nikus offered much help
in the contents.
Karen

Bramson
01-01-12, 18:48
Karen:
Can you please tell me if the book would be of value to me re the BRAMS

Bramson
01-01-12, 19:00
Karen:
I started to Post but I didn't finish my message - it was sent in error. My fault. I did find the book online and could order it if it could be of value to my research. Can you please advise me if there is information re the Brams family that would be helpful. Thank you.
Nancy

Karen Norwillo
01-01-12, 22:12
Nancy,
I don't think it would be worth it for you. It only has one mention of a Brams directly. It is in regard to a Kaustinen and Rex marriage. The Rex bride was the daughter of Mårten Mårtensson Rex 11.11.1880 in Rökiö-11.11.1965 Vörä and Maria Lovisa Brams 19.05.1883 Rökiö-28.12.1971 Vörä. For me, it was worth it as my line is linked to many of the families. My ggrandfather was a Forss. I am tied to many of the families on the tree Hasse posted above.
Karen

Bramson
25-01-12, 16:05
I would like information on how to access military records for Finland WW 1. I have a photo of my father in a Finnish Army uniform. He emigrated to Canada in 1925. He was born in 1901. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you - Bramson

June Pelo
26-01-12, 00:16
Nancy,

I'm replying to your comment about the book "Den Osterbottniska Byn".. I also have the book and have translated many articles from it for my article collection on the Forum. I noted the article about Rökiö and it covers customs and mentions farms there, so when I finish my projects I may work on adding this article to my collection.

Bramson
26-01-12, 16:52
Thank you June:

I have tried to translate the information about Rökiö, word for word, and really can't get an understanding of what the author is saying. I will keep trying and hope I can find someone locally who speaks Swedish. I really love the photo (page 330) of my Aunt Edith reading at the table in the family room. I also have one of my father sitting on the hearth, smoking his pipe. It, too, looks posed and likely was taken at the same time as his sister's. I am interested in the social life of people in the village, as well as just names and dates.

Nancy

Bramson
02-02-12, 00:09
Hi:
I have not heard from Mr. Nikus. If he has information for me re Brams connection, I would appreciate any little detail.

Thank you,

Nancy Egles

nikus
02-02-12, 06:32
Cousin Nancy,
please contact me directly at
t.nikus(at)gmail.com

When working on my book on the Bengs family in Vörå, I found a Brams line, of which one person died in Alabama, one in Argentina, one in Ontario. Must be your line?
Torbjörn

June Pelo
10-02-12, 00:19
Nancy,

I have posted an article about Rökiö on the Forum with the rest of my articles.. you can find it at:
http://finlander.genealogia.fi/sfhswiki/index.php/R%C3%B6ki%C3%B6