PDA

View Full Version : Translation needed

Tracy Boeldt
05-02-04, 04:56
Hello all!
I just got an Ämbetsbevis from Pargas and I had a few questions about my translations:
lagligen frånskilda arb.--legitmate form divorce workman
flyttade till Pargas civ.reg.--moved to Pargas civil register
till mannens II och hustruns I äkt.--to ?his second and wife's first original
Thanks in advance!
Tracy

Gunnar Damström
05-02-04, 07:01
Not bad.

Legally divorced worker
Moved to Pargas. Entered in the Civil Registry (indicating he was not member of a church congregation)
...to the husband's second and the wife's first marriage...

Gunnar

Tracy Boeldt
06-02-04, 18:40
Gunnar,
Thanks for the help! I was wondering, you mentioned "indicating he was not member of a church congregation" would that mean that this was after death. In Ämbetsbevis, it lists Fanny Augusta Söderman as moved to Pargas, entered in the civil registry 2.2.1966. I was just wondering if that was a death date?
Tracy

Gita Wiklund
06-02-04, 19:46
Tracy,

In Ämbetsbevis, it lists Fanny Augusta Söderman as moved to Pargas, entered in the civil registry 2.2.1966. I was just wondering if that was a death date?

Could you write this exactly the way it is written in the ämbetsbevis? wether it´s written in swedish or in english in the ämbetsbevis?

Gita

Tracy Boeldt
07-02-04, 01:48
Here it is Gita,

Fanny Augusta Söderholm f. 15.9.1891 i Pargas, flyttade till Pargas civ.reg. 2.2.1966 som änka.

Tracy

Gita Wiklund
07-02-04, 10:13
It says that:
Fanny Augusta Söderholm b. 15.9.1891 in Pargas, moved to Pargas civ.reg. 2.2.1966 as widow.

I wonder if civ.reg. mentioned is the same as befolkningsregister in swedish. Then it should not indicate "not member of a church congregation" as I understand it, but Gunnar or anyone else please correct me if I´m wrong.

About the civil registration in Finland see:

http://www.syl.helsinki.fi/asiakirjat/julkaisut/guide97/civil.html

Gita

Gita Wiklund
07-02-04, 10:19
Tracy,

I forgot to ask: Does it say if she moved from some other place to Pargas, or if was she already living in Pargas when she moved to the Pargas civ.reg. ?

sune
07-02-04, 15:29
We have three population registers in Finland: the Evangelic Lutheran curch's which most of us belong to (well ove 80 percent of the population), the Greek Orthodox's (abt 2-3 percent) and what we call the "civil registry". (That's right Gita, it is the equivalent of "befolkningsregistret" in Sweden), i.e. a register upheld by the authorities. You can register yourself there if you don't want to belong to any of the churches mentioned above, for example if you want to belong to another church or if you don't want to belong to any church at all.

Sune

Gita Wiklund
07-02-04, 16:04
Okey, then I was wrong. It works a little bit different in Sweden then, because everyone is registered in the population register that sorts under the local tax office in Sweden, wether you belong to a church or not.

Gita

Tracy Boeldt
08-02-04, 07:38
Gita,
That is what is confusing about the entry--it doesn't mention anything about her leaving Pargas. So, I'm confused on whether or not "she was not a member of a church congregation"?

Tracy

Gita Wiklund
08-02-04, 15:34
Tracy,

It´s easier to get the picture of what it means if one see the entry in its full context. By the way, what office in Pargas has issued this ämbetsbetyg?

Gita

Tracy Boeldt
08-02-04, 19:16
Gita,
the ämbetsbevis is from the Pargas Swedish parish and the person that prepared it was Berit Strömborg. This is my third time getting information from her and she has been very helpful in the past. This time around it has been different and she has not responded to the second set of questions about this mattter. So, I don't know what happen.
Tracy

Gunnar Damström
08-02-04, 19:27
As Sune said. If you are a Finnish citizen and belong to the Evangelical Lutheran church or the Greek Orthodox Church, the church keeps you personal records and the Government taxation bailiffs will deduct church tax from your paycheck automatically (used to be 1.5% of the gross salary; don't know what it is currently). If you don't want to be member of the Evangelical Lutheran church or the Greek Orthodox Church you can resign, in which case your information is transferred to the civil registry, which is maintained by the Government.
Gunnar

Gita Wiklund
08-02-04, 19:27
Tracy,

That sounds strange. Maybe she has a lot of work piled up at the moment.
Have you tried to e-mail her? her e-mail address is: berit.stromborg%40evl.fi

Gita

Tracy Boeldt
08-02-04, 19:44
Gunnar,
thanks--that makes sense!

Gita,
yes, I did email her and I often do email her with my questions. In the beginning, she would email me the results of the ambetsbevis in English via email (the first two times) and have me pay her afterwards. The third time around she waited for the money to get there and she didn't send a English version at all. I email her with questions about the people who died and marriages if they took place in Pargas (there just the dates and no place in which the dates took place)--I would assume that it is in Pargas. I'm hoping I didn't do anything to offend her in some way.
Tracy

Gita Wiklund
08-02-04, 20:01
Tracy,

I got an ämbetsbetyg from a different parrish, and I was surprised that the place were the marriages took place and the place the persons died were not mentioned. Only the place they were born. Even when as far as I know it all happened in the same parrish. I never asked why though, so I don´t know why they leave that out. I guess next time when one asks for ämbetsbetyg it´s best to point out exactly what information is wanted.

Gita

Tracy Boeldt
09-02-04, 06:27
Gita,
Thanks and I will keep that point in mind the next time!

Tracy

syrene
09-02-04, 17:30
Hi Tracy, etal
When we have gone to our family churches in order to research the actual records, some parish clerks have commented that they are behind on answering queries from North America. The interest in genealogy has risen so sharply, that the pile of requests which builds up is really daunting. Plus, they are paid to work in the office. Their research on outside queries has to come outside their regular office hours. So I don't think you have offended her. It's just possible that she is overloaded right now.
Regards,
Syrene

Tracy Boeldt
09-02-04, 18:40
Syrene,
I'm glad that you pointed that out for us, because I would hate to do that to someone and on the other hand, I think with the money that I have spent on this ämbetsbevis (I have gotten 3 now from Pargas at the cost of $40 each) that a few questions does not hurt. Am I wrong?

Tracy

syrene
10-02-04, 04:09
Dear Tracy,
You know, $US40 buys a lot less today. I went in to the bank for Euro 500 and it came out over $600 US.
But I still think that the parish offices are being overwelmed by queries from immigrant descendents. It's just a feeling. Our ancestors, by marrying Italian and English and whatever really increased the total number of American descendants with a touch of Swedish Finnish blood.
When I read about the New Sweden Colony descendents, who married English, French, Dutch, German and native Americans, there was one researcher who commented that there might be as many as 20 million Americans with New Sweden colonial blood ties.
Interesting!
Syrene

Karen Norwillo
10-02-04, 20:30
Tracy, I know $40 is alot, but I paid $100 to get information out of Lithuania and it took 6 months. Our Scandanavian records are much more accessible and better kept. Karen

Tracy Boeldt
10-02-04, 20:39
Dear Karen,
WOW!--now that's a lot of money and a long time to wait. I only waited about a week and even that killing me to wait that long! If you don't mind me asking--what kind of material did you get for that price?

Tracy