PDA

View Full Version : Erick Pajari, Kemi Finland

vahtola
17-01-12, 14:26
I live in Canberra Australia and have a Finnish mother from Haukipudas (near Oulu). My Finnish cousin and I are trying to piece together information relating to our great grandfather Erick Pajari who left Finland for the US in the late 1800s following the death of his wife during childbirth where he resided for approx. 12-20yrs then returned to Finland where he died late 1930s. His daughter Matilda Pajari also left for the US as a single woman and married John Maata, had a daughter Aili (Aileen). Matilda died when Aili was 2 yrs old. John Maata remarried having several more children to his new wife. They lived in Michigan.We are keen to find out if Erick Pajari, our great grandfather, had any connections with other family members either of the same surname or others during his time in the US (and where) and whether he had possibly changed his name to " Pojon" as noted i n the Chessell cemetry list as being Matilda's father. This name could have been misspelt. I would like to contact Anne Watts who submitted the following query in 2005 (a while ago now). First noticed it today as a new Finlander member. My cousin and I thought that we were the only people who had any knowledge of the people she mentions below - quite remarkable. She could be related to us. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks. Anna

Hello Everyone,

Looking for any help at all in my research of the Maatta and Pajari's families. Unfortunately, I do not go
back very far and I don't have much info. John Henry Maatta was born in 1889 in Oulu, Finland and
immigrated to Houghton Co., MI in 1907. His father was also John and his mother was Rekiins Moilanen.
John Henry died in Houghton Co., MI in 1963. John married in 1911 in Hancock, MI to Matilda and/or Tilda
Pajari. Matilda was born in 1885 in Finland and died in 1922 in Chassell, MI. Matilda's parents were Erick
Pajari and Marie Liisa Kauppila.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Anne Watt
Attica, MI

Karen Norwillo
17-01-12, 18:23
Here's the marriage of John and Tilda in 1911. Line 148. Also, John's WWI Draft Reg.

Karen Norwillo
17-01-12, 21:09
Here's John's 1942 Registration and his 1907 arrival to US. Migration Institute says he was from Sotkamo, Oulu. Found a 1930 Census with his blended family. He must have remarried to a widow with children. The 1920 census before Tilda's death eludes me, for now. Must be misspelled. Still looking for Pajari emigration.

vahtola
18-01-12, 01:18
Thanks for your info. We are focussing on Erik (Erkki) Pajari, my great grandfather, who lived for many years in the US and returned some time in the late 1920's-1930s. Considering that he spent many years in America, the chances that he had a family and remarried there are pretty high. Not sure whether he could have also changed his surname at some point, and if so, would there be any paperwork to verify this. Looking forward to completing the puzzle! Anne Watt who sent a message back 2005 is also keen to find out further information on him - never knew that someone else in the world is also wanting this information on the same person! We don't know who this person is, however, could be related to us - Erick Pajari possibly. Love to get in touch with her. Any suggestions?

June Pelo
18-01-12, 01:28
I tried to find Anne Watt on the membership list but she wasn't there. Maybe she dropped out.. don't know if she had any old queries that would indicate where she lived..

vahtola
18-01-12, 08:31
Thanks June. I am not yet familiar with the site being a first timer. Judging from her area, I presume Attica is in Michigan? You may not be aware that I live in Australia and not too familiar US towns. How can I reach this person for the information that we both apparently are after? Anna

vahtola
18-01-12, 14:47
The following details my great grandfather, Erik (Erkki) Pajari's family members. I hope that someone out there has information relating to any one of his siblings or parents. Cannot locate information about Erik Pajari, only know that he left Finland approx. late 1800s-early 1900s for the US following the death of his wife and baby and returned to Finland late 1930's where he died in Haukipudas (near Oulu). Wife's name was Maria Kauppila from Simo, Finland.

Erik Erkki Pajari's (my great grand father) 3 surviving children: Anna Hilja Pajari (my grandmother); Ida Matilda Pajari (Maatta married name in US to John Maatta); Johanna (early death). Erik Pajari's family as follows:

--father: Johan Johanss. (meaning Johan's son) Bajaar (incorrect spelling,should be Pajari most probably) , born 29.12.1815 in Kemi died 9.11.1869 in Kemi

--mother: Brita Eriksdr. ( meaning Erik's dotter= daughter) Halonen,born 13.3.1809 in Kemijärvi,died 27.5.1879 in Kemi.

Eric Pajari's parents moved 2.4.1845 from Kemi to Kemijärvi and from there back to Kemi in 1851.

They had 4 children(one of them was Erkki Pajari):

1) Johan Henrik Johan's son, born 13.2.1841

2)Maria Johan's dr(=daughter),born 7.8.1843 in Kemi

3)Olof Johan's son (strangely enoughhis family name is added in the form: Bajard(incorrect spelling probably),born 10.5.1848

4)Erik Johan's son Bajar which should be (Erik) Erkki Pajari=my great grandfather, born born 7.1.1852 in Kemi and died 28.12.1934 in Haukipudas.

Maria Pajari (sister of Erik)married but no documents or information about date of marriage or even husband's name.

Olof Pajari married, date of marriage was 7.3.1878 and wife's name Kaisa Gretha Wanhakartano,born 3.6.1854 in Tornio.They had three children (no names or information).
Welcome any information on my great grandfather and his family. Would also like to find out if John Nils Pajari also from Kemi is related to Erik Pajari and to us. Anna

BessemerFinn
18-01-12, 15:23
found this telephone number and address online:

Anne Watt
(810) 724-0253
4620 Loggers Pass
Attica, MI 48412-9224

also this email address on RootsWeb, which dates to 2005: rwatt*intouchmi.com

Karen Norwillo
18-01-12, 22:33
Here are some images from FFHA Kemi and Kemijärvi. First set shows Olof's birth in Kemijärvi, his family in Kemi and the Bajjar family in Kemijärvi before moving back to Kemi. Records are found under varios spellins, Bajar, Bajaar and Pajari.

Karen Norwillo
18-01-12, 22:40
More images from various rippi in Kemi. Many generations shown on some. You will see Erik and Maria and Aili Maria. You will also notice that Ida Matilda seems to belong to Johan Henrik and his wife. Ida born 1868 and Johan Erik 23.12.1870.

Karen Norwillo
18-01-12, 22:44
Here's the last images. Maria's death 13 Nov 1890 and Ida Maria and her husband moving-out. Note she is listed as Johansdotter or Juhontytär. These records are mostly in Finnish, not Swedish. tytär=daughter, poika=son. She is near bottom of page.

vahtola
18-01-12, 23:35
Thanks Karen. My cousin in Finland has similar information (or maybe the same), however, the problem for us is that our great grandfather,Erik Pajari, left Finland after his wife died for the US almost unannounced we are told - very strange - and no one in our family has any idea or information on where in the US he was based and what he was doing there till his unnanounced return to Finland in the 1930s. He is a mystery. How can we find out this information? He could have even spent some time in Canada? Who would know. Ships departed from Sweden, Norway and Copenhagen in those days for the US sometimes via England. No idea which year he left Finland either and on what ship. His sister had children I think, not sure about his brothers, would be great to be able to track this family down for information. It is a dilemma for us. We are also keen to find out whether my great grandfather, Erik Pajari, is related directly to John Nils Pajari also from Kemi. Anna

Karen Norwillo
19-01-12, 03:48
I found the birth records of all the children. Seems the brothers had children of some of the same names.
Do you have the images from the church books? If not I will post. Aili Maria 1880, Ida Alina 13.Feb 1882, Ida Mathilda 11 Jun 1883, Johanna 31 Aug 1885, Anna Hilja 22 Nov 1887 and Hans Erik 31 Aug 1890. It seems most of the children were Bajar except the last clearly Pajari. Spelling must have changed through the years. Also found Maria's marriage. She married Pehr Eliassson Kaivola 29 Jul 1866.

vahtola
19-01-12, 06:25
Thanks for this. Don't have church records. We obviously have living relatives related to Maria Pajari and husband somewhere - keen to locate them.Anna Hilja was my mother's mother (my grandmother). Erik Pajari as I have mentioned a few times, is a real mystery. do you know whether it is possible that the Finnish census between mid 1880s-1930s (I presume that there was and is such a thing in Finland) would indicate his departure fromFinland to the US and arrival back into Finland towards the end of the 1930s? Once again, many thanks for your efforts. Anna

Karen Norwillo
19-01-12, 17:03
Anna,
I will check the Kemi records again. Unfortunately, the on-line FFHA records for rippi (household "census") only goes to 1900. I'm sure there are records for later years in Kemi and Haukipudas. I found Ida Mathilda's arrival to US in 1906. She left Finland in July 1906 and arrived to Quebec first and then crossed the border at St Albans, VT. Says going to Kauppila uncle in Hancock, MI. There is also a Nils Johan Pajari born 14.07.1889 from Kemi who emigrated in 1907 for US on the SS Etruria to Duluth, MN. I will see if I can tie these two families. Here are the church records for the births. I need to get Johanna and Aili, thought I had saved, but didn't.

Karen Norwillo
19-01-12, 17:05
Here are the arrival for Ida Mathilda. I cropped the border crossing. She's near the bottom on the Quebec manifest.

Karen Norwillo
19-01-12, 20:31
Here are the Kauppila rippi in Simo. On the far right, you will see they moved to Kemi .? 1875?
Maria's parents were Nils Petter Jakobsson Kauppila and Anna Greta Pehrsdotter Kandola. Maria Lisa born 4 Mar 1860.

Karen Norwillo
19-01-12, 21:43
If I'm correct, Nils Johan Pajari was the son of Olof Pajari and his wife Kaisa Kreeta (Caisa Greta). Found them in 1891-1900 image, birth dates match other rippi. So he would be a cousin to Ida Mathilda and a nephew of Erik Pajari.

vahtola
20-01-12, 01:55
Erkki Pajari's brother Olof didn't have a son called Nils Johan. The names of the sons were: Johan Erik,born 3.3.1876, Karl Axel,born 14.11.1878 and Erik Ulrik,born 20. ?. 1898 or 1888.Olof's wife was Kaisa Gretha Wanhakartano, born 3.6.1854 in Tornio. Possibility that Nils Johan Pajari could be a relative of Erik (Erkki) Pajari? Anna

vahtola
20-01-12, 02:14
John Nils Pajar marred Impi Nieminen I think maybe in the US. John Nils Pajar also being born in Kemi, any chance a relative of Erik Pajari. I have provided dates of birth in one of my previous messages for reference. Anna

vahtola
20-01-12, 02:29
Hi Karen
Something strange here! Olof Johan's son Bajard has become työmies(=worker) Olli Juho's son Pajari with no date of birth and his first son is missing.In no other records there are so many kids of Olof and Kaisa.Though Tornio says after their list of 3 kids, that the next side of the book on the net is no more there,but even then,why not the eldest son here?Sure he died 3 yrs old, in 1879. Is Olli Pajari and Olof Bajaard the same person? Look forward to hearing back from you. Anna

Karen Norwillo
20-01-12, 20:29
OK. What I'm coming up with, there are two Olof Pajari/Bajar/ Bajard born different dates and places. Kaisa Kreeta was born 8 Jun 1854 in Tornio. They were married 7 Mar 1878. Her surname was Wahankarteno. You said Olof Johansson was born in Kemijärvi. That birth I found. They used Bajar at that time. So these are two different Olofs. This Olof Bajard was born 8 Jun 1854, the other 18 May 1848.He's the one shown on the early family images.
Here is Maria and her husband and two children . Pehr/Petter Kaivola 3 Dec 1841, Maria Johansdr Bajar 3 Aug 1843, Ida Selina Pehrsdr 27 Mar 1869 and Maria Alina Pehrsdr 15 Jul 1876. Marriage date matches one I gave previously.
I'll check that Olof birth in Kemi for parents.

Karen Norwillo
20-01-12, 21:14
The Olof Johansson born 12.10.1845 was born to Johan Johansson Bajar born Leskelä 18.2.1810 and Lisa Greta 1805. I found two Lisa Greta born 1805, one to Henric Tasala and Margaret Torvanen, the other to Nils Savolainen and Anna Lisa Auno. So this Olof was not Erik Bajar/Pajari's brother. According to the Nils Johan (or reverse) Pajari's parents were Olof Pajari and Margareta Kaup. maybe Kauppila.

On another topic, I have searched for Erik Pajari with no luck. I have used all spellings. Not found in Canada. If he used his patronym of Johnson, that will present so many possibilities.

Karen Norwillo
20-01-12, 22:02
Here's the birth for Nils Johan Pajari. Does it match the birth you have?

Karen Norwillo
21-01-12, 04:57
I looked back at earlier rippi.1834-1840 finds Johan Johansson Leskola 18.2.1810 and wife Lisa Greta at image 212 Paackola Gingerlag torparen, backst. There are not there in 1841-1847. In 1855-1865 he is now Bajar eller Leskelä. So they moved to Bajar farm and he took that name.
Johan's first wife, Lisa Greta, Olof's mother, died 22.10.1877 at age 72. Johan remarried to Anna Greta Olofsdr Klint in 1880.

Karen Norwillo
21-01-12, 18:19
Comparing the two Olofs through the years, I think that the Olof born 1845 and the Bajard and Pajai family found are his.
I searched after 1874 for the other Olof, Erik's brother and cannot find him. He is last on the 1865-1874 rippi with his parents. I didn't find him on a moving-out list or death records. Don't know what happened to him. As for Nils Johan, don't know why his mother is given as Margaret, I know Greta is really Margaret, but no Caisa Greta. Yet he matches the one found with the family.
Must have been a clerical error in recording. That does happen, rarely, thank heaven.

Karen Norwillo
21-01-12, 21:37
I found John Nils Pajari and his family in the 1930 census in Virginia, St Louis, MN. Wife's first name misspelled. There are two sons, Reino 15 abt 1915 and John 14 abt 1916. John Nils Pajari died 4 Mar 1980 St Louis county, MN. SSDI also has Costa Mesa, Orange, CA as past residences. He is on the MN Death Index, lived in Virginia, St Louis, MN. According to son John's birth on MN Birth Index, born 4 Feb 1916 mmn Niemelä. I did not find Reino's. Also didn't find Impi on the MN Death Index. Maybe she died in CA. I found John Pajar in the 1910 census in Mountain Iron, St Lois, MN. Still single. Marriage must have been between 1910-1914. Migration Institute has an Impi Niemelä emigrating 1910, destination Virginia, MN. Arrived Jan 1911 through Canada and crossed at St Albans, VT. Says father Matts Niemelä. Name misinterpreted as Tinpi.

vahtola
22-01-12, 06:57
Thanks Karen for all the i nformation that you have retrieved and researched. It really has been of great assistance to my cousins in Finland and I - we really are on the road to discovery! We are now using your information with ours to piece together the history of my mysterious great grandfather and siblings. Will be in touch soon. Many thanks. Anna

vahtola
22-01-12, 13:57
My cousin and I can now confirm at least 99% that John Nils Pajari is directly related to us. We have contacted his grandaughter and her sister to advise - all nfo provided by you in conjunction with our research has reached a breakthrough on Olaf Pajari and his relationship with our great grandfather Erik Pajari. We are now keen to focus on the Whereabouts of Erik Pajari in the US fbetween late 1800s and late 1920s, when left Finland and what he was up to in the US during his time there. Any children possibly, remarried etc.? Your US records may provide us with the information that is not readily available to us here in Australia and Finland (my relatives reside there). Again, many many thanks for helping us in our search. Can you advise whether the information that we require regarding Erik would be readily available in some form in the US. thanks. Anna

vahtola
22-01-12, 14:10
Hi Karen forgot to ask you if MN is for Minnesota and what is SSDI? thanks. Anna

Karen Norwillo
22-01-12, 16:25
Anna,
Sorry, I forget you're in Australia and might not know my abbreviations. SSDI is the Social Security Death Index. Only people who were able to collect Social Security are on it. Those who died before it came into being would not be found on it. I believe it starts in the 50's. MN is Minnesota. It has its own Birth and Death Index for some years. The Genweb for individual states is also a good research source. Not all states and counties are created equal. Some have great sites full of info, some very limited. I don't know where to proceed with your Erik. Without finding his arrival and what name he used, it is going to be very difficult. If he tried to make contact with his Maata daughter in the states, you have a chance. Have you tried any of her descendants? If I can be of any help, let me know. I love a good challenge. PS, I have Niemelä ancestors from Kemijärvi and Salla. I've checked the moving-out records for Erik, but have not found him. I don't know if he left before or after his wife died. I checked all the years available after her death in Nov 1890.
Karen

vahtola
23-01-12, 01:26
Thanks Karen, coincidence that you also have relatives from Kemijarvi! Erik departed Finland after his wife's death for the US. His 2/3 remaining children were looked after by his wife's parents and aunts - my grandmother Hilja Pajari (married name Vahtola) Ida Matilda by aunt and uncle and the remaining daughter not sure. She was young when she died. He returned to Finland late 1920-1930s to Haukipudas where he died in my mother's family home. He apparently never spoke of his time in the US or gave any information relating to what he did there. By the way, Ida Matilda's (my mother's mother and my grandmother) death certificate/register for Chassell, Michigan states that Erik Pajari's surname and being her father is spelt " Pojon"? Any chance that he used this surname in the US? I have googled and nothing has resulted with that name. I guess this could have been a spelling error - who would know. I have even tried Pojor and nothing. I contacted my mother's first cousin's (being Aili Maatta - Aileen - Ida Matilda's daugther) children in Michigan last week (first time that I have ever spoken to them and it was great to speak with them, and vice versa). They don't have any information on their grandmother's father, however, my Finnish cousin is waiting for information from another relative of our's in Finland - here's hoping that they can also shed some light on our mysterious great grandfather. I am surprised that information relating to Erik's US residency - approx. 15 yrs - cannot be found. Do you think that Canada could have been another temporary destination for him? Many Finns settled in Canada also at that time. Did social security exist during his time in the US? If so, are there are registers or records? What about shipping/immigration arrivals, cross border records (US/Canada/maybe even Alaska?). Wait to hear from you. Anna

vahtola
23-01-12, 01:51
Karen, the following info from Chassell cemetry relating to Erik Pajari's surname being " Pojon". Anna

LAST NAME FIRST NAME DOB Place of birth Spouse name Father's name Father's birthplace Mother's maiden name Mother's birthplace DOD AGE died where: buried where Other comments Stone section Block lot
Maata Matilda Finland John Erick Pojan Finland Marie Liisa Kauppila Finland 4-6-1922 37 CH LS

Karen Norwillo
23-01-12, 02:13
Anna,
I did check the 1901 and 1911 census of Canada and didn't find Erik under Pagari or any similar spelling. I will try Pojon. I think I did do a search by that name, but I'm not sure. As Ida Mathilda and Johan Nils came through Canada. There is a border crossing list on Ancestry (I have a full subscription), but I didn't find him on an earlier search. Some of those early records were notoriously misspelled. My Sulasalmi surname had some really creative spellings. The ships images for Canada arrivals are not searchable by names. You have to search every ship that may have arrived during those years to find a name on a manifest. If only we could find his moving out record for year. That would narrow it down alot.
Karen

vahtola
23-01-12, 10:56
Hi Karen, no idea what ship he travelled on. Finnish surnames that may be of help could be Bojar, Pojan or Pojon in lieu of Pajari. Anna

Karen Norwillo
23-01-12, 19:07
Anna,
I've tried every possible spelling I could think of. I also went through the moving-out records for 1890-1907 and didn't find him. It's possible he didn't get papers from his church, which was usually done, and just left. But if he came to the US or Canada, he would need some sort of papers from the country he left to get a passport.

Karen Norwillo
23-01-12, 20:52
Anna,
In Haukipudas records, it shows Aili Maria Erkintytär Pajari, moved-in 19.3.1900 and moved-out to Kemi 6.2.1902.
Don't know if she was taken to relatives right after Erik left or before, but this might give a timeline when it occured. She would have been 10 when she left and 12 when she returned.

vahtola
24-01-12, 00:46
Karen, found the following info on a Bijar (Johans) who was born on the same date as Erik - his surname could have been misspellt? He could have provided the name Pajar (Bijar sounds very similar, however incorrect spelling) and Johan was Erik's father's name.Dates may be coincidental. This information is from the Gothenberg-Sweden passenger list 1869-1951 all in Swedish. 11/7/1890. I think the boat was called Ariosto. I agree, he would have needed papers from Finland to get a passport. Would there be any info regarding Ellis Island as a transit point for immigrants and if so, names? If I find something will let you know. My cousin in Finland is also investigating other avenues. I guess there is every chance that Erik could have changed his name if he wanted to start a new life?

Johan Bijar

Departure Date:

11 jul 1890

Ship Name:

Ariosto

Birth Date:

abt 1852

Birth Place:

Finland

Destination:

Hull, England

Karen Norwillo
24-01-12, 03:35
It's possible,except if he left after his wife died, she didn't die until November of 1890. I did check both Ellis Island and Castle Garden. Those ships from Gothenburg to Hull were feeder ships and would not be the ship he left Liverpool.It's possible he arrived through Canada, but I'd have to view every manifest arriving from Liverpool in the time frame.

vahtola
24-01-12, 03:53
Karen, spoke to my mother who knew Aili - Aili was raised by her mother's sister and husband in Simojokki - surname is Lahdenpera - and married Hermanni Marjomaa. Dates according to my mother seem about right. She agrees that her grandfather could have changed his surname.See how you go. Regards. Anna

vahtola
24-01-12, 06:38
Hi Karen, found another Erkki Pajari from Kemi on a passenger list - New York passenger list 1820-1957. His age is definitely incorrect, however, is there any possibility that his dob hence age was written in error by the person who has written the information on the passenger list? His reason on the list for going to the US was to join his brother - the initial of the brother's name looks like a " K "? Didn't have a brother whose name began with K. Anna

Name:

Erkki Pajari

Arrival Date:

30 Apr 1903

Birth Year:

abt 1881

Male

Ethnicity/Race*/Nationality:

Finnish

Port of Departure:

Liverpool, England

Port of Arrival:

New York, New York

Ship Name:

Oceanic

vahtola
24-01-12, 13:14
Hi Karen

Have some questions regarding my mother's aunt, Aili Pajari. The dates that you have noted for her moving out and moving in don't somehow translate. My grandmother, Anna Hilja (my mother's mother) and Aili's sister, was born 22.11.1887, Aili born 8.9.1880, their mother Maria Lisa died 13.11.1890. Anna Hilja married her husband in Haukipudas 1913.
Don't understand what Aili was doing in Haukipudas between 1900-1902? The document could be from some other place? It does not indicate the name of the parish that it belongs to. My cousin in Finland has looked at the Finnish digital archives which apparently don't give any information for 1900 and after.He is trying to access other sources to verify including the Haukipudas church office.

He has told me that the record says under the title Arrival (=Tulo): 19.3.1900 Kemi and under Departure (Lähtö) 6.2.1902 Kemiin meaning to Kemi. It must mean that she arrived from Kemi to whatever this place is (Haukipudas ? or other?) and left it to go back to Kemi.We think that the Haukipudas connection starts with our grandmother, Anna Hilja Vahtola (married name) when she moved to Haukipudas to marry. Still positive that he would have had to have a passport or papers to re-enter Finland from the US in the 1930s. Look forward to hearing from you. Anna

vahtola
24-01-12, 14:52
Hi Karen

My cousin has just confirmed your research into Aili Pajari. The Haukipudas parish office confirms: Aili Maria Erkintytär(Daughter of Erkki) Pajari moved from Kemi to Haukipudas and back to Kemi on the dates given by you and that she was called a "servant maid" ( a working girl ) at the age of 10-12 !!! Amazing! Nothing about the family she worked for. One can speculate, that either his father was so poor, that he made her young daughter work as a servant in a completely strange family , or there was no father.She could not have done it by herself at that age. Or was it a related family who just took care of her and for reasons unknown to us, she was called servant ? Perhaps we could leave out the years after 1900 as time of departure of Erkki Pajari???
Anna

vahtola
24-01-12, 16:07
HI Karen, have some good news! My cousin has tracked down a retired school principal who was also a history teachel in Simo who is married to a Pajari. He has put together a family tree - not sure how comprehensive it is - and is going to contact my cousin with information relating to Erik and other family members. We are sure that he has substantial information that will allow us to proceed in the search for records on Erik Pajari. I will let you know what we find out, hopefully today, and will get back to you with firm facts etc. Thanks. Anna

Karen Norwillo
24-01-12, 18:00
Anna,
Strange as it sounds, young girls of 12+ were often sent to other families to work as "servants." My own aunt who was found in her sister's home on a census is listed as a servant. She was there to help her sister with young children and was listed that way. Times were bad in Finland and those who were not land owners were often forced to send their children to other farms to work. Girls especially had to grow up fast.
I checked that arrival of Johan Bijar in 1890, his destination was Crystal Falls, Michigan. Coincidentally, that's where I was born. Do not find him there on any census with any similar spelling.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
24-01-12, 18:16
Anna,
I checked that 1903 arrival. This Erik was born 20 Nov 1881 in Kemi, full name Erick Odrick Pajari. Married to Emma and has 7 children in 1920. They lived in Bowstring, Itasca, Minnesota. So he is not your Erick. That Erick was naturalized in MN in 1918.
I'm attaching arrival manifest (line 11) destination Calumet, Michigan to brother Kalle, and military registration card (required, doesn't denote actual service)
Karen

vahtola
25-01-12, 00:55
Karen, as mentioned in my earlier message to you, we can rest easy for another day until firm (ish) information is given to my cousin relating to Erik and his family. This John Bijar seems to have slipped through the cracks somewhere - thought that he could have been Erik with a different name! Anyway, hopefully, the facts will be firm enough so that we can move forward on Erik's movements etc. Will be in touch soon on that. Anna

vahtola
26-01-12, 00:18
Hi Karen, my cousin has spoken to the Simo contact re: Erik Pajari and no additional info on him has surfaced,however, Erik's ancestors are probably from the Tervola tract which is between Kemi and Rovaniemi. Any thoughts on whether Tervola could be another useful starting point in our reserarch? Surely Erik would have been required to produce documents in order for him to re-enter Finland in the late 1920s/early 30s? The Finnish immigration authorities must have something? We are determined to resolve our mysterioius g. grandfather's movements and life story and do hope that the missing bit of information surfaces from somewhere. Any ideas and further information from you would be most appreciative. Regards. Anna

vahtola
26-01-12, 15:13
Hi Karen, still waiting for more information on Erik Pajari from my cousin and his contact. Happenend to find this person - Erik Jonson, departure 9 December 1890 on " Romeo";dob: 1852; age: 38; place of birth: Finland Destination: Hull, England; Going to Calumet, Michigan. This info is from the Gothenburg, Sweden Passenger Lists 1869-1951. As you suggested earlier, he could have changed his name (which I feel to be the case), the "Jonson" surname is a strong possibility I think. The dob and place of birth and departure dates seem to match some of our information. Can't find any other info on this person. Any suggestions? regards. Anna

vahtola
26-01-12, 15:31
Karen, I have looked at the Swedish Emigration Records and found that the same person's surname is spelt " Jonsson" also. His destination was Hancock, not Calumet. Anna

Karen Norwillo
26-01-12, 20:55
Anna,
Here's that arrival to Hull. I checked Ancestry for arrivals to US in that time and with both spellings. Also checked all the ships manifests arriving in Canada in that time, mid-late Dec. 1890 and early Jan 1891, no hits.
Also, the Pajari name was found in Tervola in FFHA records starting in the 1693-1700 rippi.
Karen

vahtola
27-01-12, 00:26
thanks Karen. Is there no connection with the Jonsson/Jonson person. How did this person get to the US from Hull? Would the Finnish Emigration INstitute have any information on this person re-entering Finland late 1920s/early 1930's? Where to from here do you think? Regards. Anna

vahtola
27-01-12, 01:22
Karen, do you think that the following surnames could apply to a Pajari name change: Parr, Parry, Perry, Page? Have looked throgh ancestory for any links to E. followed by each of these names, and dob, no luck. Do y ou have access to other records that aren't on line? Any one of these surnames would make sense to me. Anna

Karen Norwillo
27-01-12, 05:32
Anna,
The usual route after arriving to Hull was train to Liverpool and another ship to destination. Port of arrival could be anywhere, NY, Philadelphia, Baltimore or Canada. As to name Erik might have used, that is difficult to guess. Most often their real name, their patronym or something totally different if they had a particularly difficult surname to pronounce. Thank God my Sulasalmi ancestors didn't feel the need to change theirs. Made searching so much easier as it was so unique.
When exactly did Erik come back to Finland? Have you checked the churchbooks in Haukipudas for the time he returned? Maybe contacting the parish there will shed some light. They might have where he came from.

vahtola
27-01-12, 13:57
Thanks Karen. Erik returned to Finland approxl 1929-1932, died 1934. Haukipudas church parish are very slow and slightly unenthusiastic about retrieving old records. My cousin may have to go and physically look at the records. His death certificate is definitely somewhere in the church records. Contacting various authorities including Migration Institute in Turku regarding Erik's paperwork that would have been required on his return to Finland. Again, there must be some documentation somewhere, afterall, the government of the day would have had processes in place to monitor population movements compared to the late 1800's. We will try to backtrack now on the basis of his death certif. and paperwork relating to his return to Finland. What is your view on this? Is the person I mentioned earlier - Jonsson- of interest? Anna

June Pelo
27-01-12, 16:41
Anna,

I'll quote from an article from my collection, telling about emigrant recollections of working at a young age...it was a way of life for many of them:

"I remember a small house and lots of kids. We were twelve at the table. My grandmother, my mother's mother, lived with us. We had a couple of cows and some sheep and a pig every year. When I was seven I started to stay with my mother's sister. They had a big farm, eight or nine cows and two horses. I used to be there in the summer and come home and go to school in the wintertime. After I got through school, then I stayed with my auntie permanently and worked on the farm, learned to milk and other chores." Together with two brothers and a cousin, she emigrated to the US at the age of seventeen. She settled in Tacoma, Washington where she worked as a domestic servant and later married a fellow Swede.

Her story is one of separation and self-sufficiency. In past generations, the household unit fluctuated because of the early departure of children to live and work outside the home. Large families and limited resources made it practical, even mandatory, for children to leave home. A young person might be attached to another household as an apprentice. Through this they received training and in turn provided labor.

Work was a way of life also for children who had certain responsibilities at home. One related: "As soon as we could walk, we had to carry branches from trees every time we went home. We had to carry wood to the fire. It was a struggle, but it went fine. That's all we did - struggle. We always had to work hard." Once schooling and confirmation were finished, usually around age fourteen, young women moved out of their parents' home and took paid employment. It was expected of them that after confirmation they were on their own and had to take care of themselves.

Often the employers were relatives or neighbors. Sometimes the available work was seasonal; sometimes the parents continued to exert demands. Olga from Norway learned dressmaking from a sister who had a shop in the nearby town. At age seventeen she moved to another town where she worked as a cook. In the summertime she would go and work for farmers raking the hay which was what most of the girls did. They got paid per day and could make a lot of money that way. Frequently, through their work as farm servants, housemaids, and cooks, young women like Olga grew accustomed to an itinerant lifestyle.

Clara remembered that her father was a fisherman and there were six children. Her father drowned in 1898 and her brother was born a month later. Her mother's sister lived in Aberdeen, Washington and kept writing to her mother to come to America where it would be easier to make a living. So her mother sold the old farm, but two of the girls decided to stay behind. One was eight and the other ten. They were working for other people and able to make a living, so they stayed.

vahtola
28-01-12, 00:57
thanks June for the very interesting article. Life in those days was really a struggle with full of challenges. We are still trying to track down my g. grandfathe's whereabouts in the US with great difficulty and not sure now whether we ever will. However, we haven't given up yet! The information is all inthe paperwork and could also be through word of mouth - we hope. thanks. Anna

June Pelo
28-01-12, 01:20
Word of mouth can sometimes be very wrong as Karen and I have discovered.. without some paperwork as a basis, a lot of effort is wasted tracking down information based on what some people think they remember..

vahtola
29-01-12, 00:40
Agreed, however, we hope that we can at least discover his name if he had changed it! Anna

vahtola
31-01-12, 18:08
Hi Karen

Have discovered that Erik took part in communion in Keminmaa on 20 May, 1900. The same year Erik and children were transferred into another record, with no access for the Institute. Why did they do it? Cousin will try to find out. Erkki Pajari was in Finland at least on 20 May,1900. Often people took part in communion for some special occasion,maybe he did it before he left Finland? Remember, that his daughter Aili was sent to Haukipudas to work on 19 Mar,1900. Could have been part of his plan to leave the country. Could have been Erik's decision to send his daughter to work. We have also discovered that his nephew John Nils Pajari left Finland for Duluth, Minnesota via England on the S/S ASTRAEA on 2 May, 1907.

Another ship from England (harbor unknown) to New York on the S/S ETRURIA on 16 May,1907.Shipping line to US: Cunard. What is your knowledge of the boats leaving Hanko, including numbers and frequency of boats from this port to UK? I am having trouble accessing this information. Given that Nils Pajari travelled on the above ships, Erik may have also taken the same boat and route to US. Look forward to hearing from you. Anna

Karen Norwillo
01-02-12, 02:54
Anna,
My apologies. I thought I had posted the manifest for Nils Johan's arrival in 1907. I just had posted the info. There is an Erik Jansson, along with several others by that name on the same ship, their destination looks like it's different from Nils'. Erik is #2 and Nils #8.
Karen