PDA

View Full Version : Nurminen/Nurmi

June Pelo
08-05-13, 00:35
FAR has this query asking for help. Please reply directly to Markku:

Otto Evald Nurminen - Nurmi, b. 4 Feb 1886, Jamsa, arrived in Boston 23 Jan 1914. He was engaged to Minnie (Mimmi), b. 1887 in Finland, who came to the US earlier; they married in the US.

They had a son Eugen(e), b. 10 Dec 1919, and died June 1976. Eugene was a physicist and may have worked on the Manhattan project. He lived in 1940 in Westerly Town, WAshington, Rhode Island. Interested in any information about relatives and descendants of Otto and/or Eugene.

Markku Keisala
Vantaa, Finland
e-mail: markku.keisala*hotmail.com

Karen Norwillo
09-05-13, 00:00
June,
Found some info on this family. Will send to Markku. Do not find anything about Eugene being a physicist, but he did attend the University of Rhode Island from 1939-1942. He and his parents are buried in River Bend Cemetery in Westerly. Mimmi was born Lehtinen. Otto was a monument stonecutter. I found 2 manifests for Otto, 1914 and then again in 1930 with his family returning to RI from Finland.

June Pelo
09-05-13, 02:14
Karen,

Thanks for finding something for Markku. I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you.

Karen Norwillo
09-05-13, 02:22
Eugene's degree from the University of Rhode Island was in Chemical Engineering.

June Pelo
09-05-13, 03:01
Maybe his family knew something we don't know.. The Manhattan Project was super secret at the time.

Karen Norwillo
09-05-13, 18:03
June,
I got an email from Markku this morning. He didn't know what FAR was and said he knew all this stuff I sent him. Said he hired a genealogist in Westerly and had all I found, plus more. I forgot what FAR stood for, so maybe he sent his original query to the genealogist and it was posted by him?
Karen

June Pelo
09-05-13, 18:19
Karen,

FAR is the Finnish American Reporter newspaper. He evidently sent a request to them for help because they published it on their genealogy page in the May issue. I'll write to Jim Kurtti who is the editor and tell him what happened. Sorry for the confusion.

June Pelo
09-05-13, 20:49
Karen,

Don't know what to make of that guy.. he must have a mental problem. Jim wrote back that they have his request letter on file, and they printed it just as he wrote it. They don't know why he replied to you the way he did, but they said to forget the matter, and they're sorry for the confusion.

Karen Norwillo
11-05-13, 01:47
June,
Got another email from Markku. He now remembers sending the query, but didn't realize it had been printed. He wished me a happy summertime.

June Pelo
11-05-13, 01:59
Jim said they sent him a copy of the paper with his query in it...so he couldn't help but see that it was printed.