PDA

View Full Version : Paavo Mikonpoika Stupila (or Stubbas) 1633-1710

Sandy Witt
10-02-04, 22:35
I recently received information from a wonderful genealogy researcher about my Stubbas (Stupila) family, but am having difficulty with translating the Finnish text.

She sent me excerpts from a book by Reijo Ostamo, Rogelin Sukukirja (Rogel Family Book), (2000). Pori, Finland.

The following passage is about my 9th great grandfather, Paavo Mikonpoika Stupila (or Stubbas) from Sastmola. He was born in 1633 and died in 1710. He married a woman named Maria (or Maija). Their daughter Liisa married Heikki Matinpoika Siiro. Does this suggest that this Sastmola line of my ancestors were Finnish Finns? The general consensus is that my Siiro line were Finnish Finns [my third g-grandfather Johan Henrik Bäckman (1798-1869)moved from Gottböle, Närpes to Storå in 1820 and married Catharina (Caisa) Henriksdr Siiro].

Stupilan isäntänä lähes 30 vuotta. Lautamies, arviomies, asiantuntijana kuultu. Stupila oli Kyläsaaren maamittari Mörtin ratsutilan augumenttitila (aputila) (Reijo Ostamo, Merikarvian kylät ja asukkaat 1600- ja 1700-luvuilla, sivu 89)

I appreciate information about my Stubbas/Stupila ancestors and assistance with this passage.

Thank you.

Sandy Johnson Witt

Gunnar Damström
11-02-04, 06:45
... was the proprietor of the Stupila homestead for close to 30 years. Served on community committees, served as assessor and was called as expert witness. The Stupila homestead sorts under (Mr.) Mört's "rusthåll" as "augmentshemman".

Now you probably want to know what rusthåll and augmentshemman are. The terms date back to the Swedish era. In the 1680 the Swedish Government commenced arranging the so called allotment system for maintaining the army. Two farms were dedicated a "rote" that was obliged to keep one foot soldier. A wealthy farm could apply to be designated rusthåll instead of a "rotefarm" and received tax benefits. The "rusthåll" kept a mounted soldier and horse instead of a foot soldier. The "augmentshemman" paid tax to the "rusthåll" rather than being designated a "rotehemman (rotefarm)". There are no English translations of "rusthåll" and "augmentshemman" as far as I know. The allotment system for keeping an army was something totally unique for Sweden. Read about the Finnish Military during the Swedish Era in the next issue of the Quarterly!

Gunnar

Sandy Witt
11-02-04, 14:50
Gunnar,

Tack så mycket for your translation AND your thorough explanation of the meaning of these terms.

I had seen the terms "rusthåll" and "augmentshemman" numerous times in genealogical and historical documents but didn't quite understand exactly what they meant.

Sandy