PDA

View Full Version : Mina Snellman

Dan Anders
16-06-13, 18:04
I am looking for relatives to Mina Snellman born in Getruds Larsmo, Finland Sept 10 1881 She arrived in New York, New York June 24 1910 on the ship Adriatic. She married a man with name John. They got at least 2 children, a son and a daughter. On a photo of the children it says that they lived in Hoquiam, Grays Harbour Washington at that time.

BessemerFinn
16-06-13, 22:18
Could this be her?

Name: Mena Anderson
Birth Year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Finland
Home in 1920: Hoquiam Ward 4, Grays Harbor, Washington
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1909
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: John Anderson
Father's Birthplace: Finland
Mother's Birthplace: Finland
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Anderson 34
Mena Anderson 38
Everett Anderson 10
Elin Anderson 7
Edith Anderson 6

BessemerFinn
16-06-13, 22:26
Name: Edith Anderson
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Independence, Thurston, Washington
Marital Status: Single
Birthplace: Washington
Birth Year (Estimated): 1913
Immigration Year:
Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
Father's Birthplace: Finland
Mother's Birthplace: Finland
District: 0015
Household ID: 7
Sheet Number and Letter: 1A
Line Number: 38
Affiliate Publication Number: T626, roll 2521
GS Film number: 2342255
Digital Folder Number: 4547539
Image Number: 00144
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head John Anderson M 44 Finland
Wife Mina Anderson F 41 Finland
Son Avid Anderson M 20 Washington
Daughter Ellen Anderson F 18 Washington
Daughter Edith Anderson F 17 Washington
Niece Bertha Anderson F 15 Washington

BessemerFinn
16-06-13, 22:40
Name: Everett J Anderson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1910
Birthplace: Washington
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Son
Home in 1940: Independence, Thurston, Washington
View Map
Street: Independence Precinct
Inferred Residence in 1935: Hoquiam, Grays Harbor, Washington
Residence in 1935: Hoquiam, Grays Harbor, Washington
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Sheet Number: 1A
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: High School, 1st year
Hours Worked Week Prior to Census: 36
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker in private work
Weeks Worked in 1939: 36
Income: 741
Income Other Sources: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Anderson 54
Mina Anderson 51
Everett J Anderson 30

Dan Anders
20-06-13, 22:07
Thank you for your information but I am not sure that it is the right person. Mina arrived in New York June 24 1910 and I don't think she got a baby the same year. Both Avid and Everett were born 1910. I have a wedding photo with Mina and John but I don't know which year it is from. I have another photo with Mina's and John's children a son about 6 years old and a daughter about 3 years old. On the back on the photo I can read that the photo was taken one year before it was sent and that John was still alive at that time so maybe John passed away between 1915 and 1925. Hope that you can go forward with this information. Rgds Dan44674468

Shadow600
20-06-13, 23:58
Hej!

Här från födelseboken, född 1881-09-11:
http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/luoto/syntyneet_1852-1886_mko19-23/95.htm

Här är familjen i Kommunionboken:
http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/luoto/rippikirja_1875-1884_mko50-56/202.htm

Dan Anders
21-06-13, 10:02
Thank you so much for information of Mina's birthday. Yes it should be Sept 11, 1881.
Hope this can clear other things up.
Thanks !

Hasse
21-06-13, 14:33
Please! - Posters in this thread...

Check that your email inbox isn't full and otherwise can accept messages. Every time there is a problem wih the delivery of a message my admin email gets a notification... Thus, especially if you are using a "temporary" or a "secondary" email account - check your email and your settings once every now and then and fix eventual problems.

hasse

BessemerFinn
21-06-13, 19:09
According to the SS Adriatic passenger record, Mina Snellman was 28 and single when she arrived in New York, NY on 24.6.1910. She was going to join her sister Lovisa (Anna Lovisa?) Petterson in Ashland, WI.

The Anderson family shown in the 1920 US Census was the only one I could find with wife Mina (spelled Mena?) and husband John in Hoquiam, WA (Grays Harbor County). That census was enumerated in Jan 1920 and shows Mina's age as 38, which would have been the correct age for Mina Snellman at that time.

The 1930 and 1940 US Census appear to show the same family, but now in Thurston County, WA. The ages for John Anderson and the children are consistent with ages shown in 1920, given the 10 year increments in time. However, Mina's age is shown as 41 in 1930 and 51 in 1940. And she is now younger than husband John. The ages for Mina Snellman in those years, would have been 48 and 58. The 1930 census also shows that Mina was 21 when first married, and husband John was 24. But mistakes were made when recording data for the census.

The frame for the wedding photo you posted of John and Mina, shows Alseen Studio, 69 E. 2nd South Street, Salt Lake City (Utah). One could then assume they were married in Salt Lake City, or at least in Utah. But I haven't been able to find a Utah marriage record. And Salt Lake City is about 900 miles from Hoquiam, WA.

I also haven't been able to find a marriage record for John Anderson in the Washington State Digital Archives. Birth records for Grays Harbor and Thurston Counties are only available there until 1908 and 1907 respectively.

From the wedding photo, it's difficult to guess at Mina's age, which would have been at least 28. But it's hard to believe she went from Wisconsin to Utah to Washington in a relatively short period of time.

I think Everett and Arvid are the same person, and a mistake was made when recording his name in 1930. There was about 3 years difference in age between Everett and Elin/Ellen. But Edith was only a year younger than Elin/Ellen. So, if these were the Anderson children, Edith should have also been in that photo.

Is it possible that Mina Snellman used another name when she married?

Dan Anders
21-06-13, 23:32
Thank you again for your long answere. First I got an answere to an other photo I have. They had a brother Otto, and he lived in Ashland WI, and they are all three together on the photo so it was taken there. It could be possible that Mina used Gustavsson as family name when she married. The photo with the two children are Mina and John's children, and as you say Edit should have been on the same photo because of the on year difference in age to Elin/Ellen.