PDA

View Full Version : Shrove Tuesday

Gwenda
24-02-04, 12:08
As today is Shrove Tuesday (or International Pancake Day according to the Internet), I wondered whether Finnish/Swedish folk celebrate in the same way as Britain, i.e. by enjoying a yummy meal of pancakes. A few hardy souls even take part in pancake races, i.e. "tossing" their pancake in the air as they run. It is raining a bit too heavily here for many pancake races to take place, but my mouth is watering at the thought of those pancakes at tonight`s evening meal. Lashings of maple syrup and cream go on mine but my husband prefers the more traditional lemon and sugar. The diet will just have to wait until tomorrow! Does Finland celebrate any other "food days" when a certain type of food is eaten on a particular day?

Happy Pancake Day everyone.

:D

sanell
24-02-04, 12:59
Hi Gwenda

Today is fettisdagen in Sweden which seems to be something like your shrove tuesday. I think it is the last day before the time of fast. In sweden we eat (semlor) a wheat-bun with almond paste and lots of cream. We cut he top of the bun, fill it with almond paste and lots of cream on top of that. Then we put the top back again and eat it. It is delicius, though not very healthy, but who cares, I am in the late forties and I´m married........
Someone said; The eating will kill me slowly,,,,,, but i´m not in a hurry..........

Peter

Gwenda
24-02-04, 13:29
Hi Peter

Sounds even better than pancakes. Enjoy!
You are right about Shrove Tuesday (and I assume Fettisdagen) being the start of the Lent fast. I wasn`t sure myself, so cheated and looked it up on the internet.

Happy Fettisdagen

:D

June Pelo
24-02-04, 16:37
It's the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, known as 'descent Tuesday' because it marks the 'descent' into the fasting period of Lent. The custom of sleding on Shrove Tuesday originally marked a change in women's work - they stopped spinning, and began weaving, which demanded more light - and its intention was to ensure the growth of linen the following summer. Shrove Tuesday is still celebrated by sledging in Finnish cities on slopes prepared for the purpose by students. The day is also marked by the consumption of sweet buns filled with marzipan or jam and cream, often eaten from bowls filled with hot milk.

Ilmar Talve wrote that pea and bean soup, blood sausage and lard pancakes were eaten at Shrovetide, the day before Ash Wednesday which was celebrated as 'fat' or 'meat' Tuesday, a day for eating a lot of fatty food. Shrove buns were eaten by the gentry from the late 18th century on (with hot milk), but the town bakeries did not begin to sell them until around the mid-19th century.

June

Gwenda
24-02-04, 17:39
Thanks for your reply June. I am not sure about the pea and bean soup and the blood sausage. The sweet buns, with marzipan or jam and cream sound much more to my liking. Just a bit more to add to my original message which I remembered afterwards. Up until last year in Norwich, near to where I live, there were two small restaurants, side by side. One was called Pizza One and the other Pancakes Too. I thought they were quite catchy names. The pancakes at "Pancakes Too" were wonderful all year round and not just on Shrove Tuesday.

kpaavola
24-02-04, 17:58
See, you learn something new everyday! :) Now I know where that originated from.

Sören Ahinko
24-02-04, 18:19
If you are interesting in semlor you can loke at this page.
http://www.algonet.se/~sv/semlaguiden.htm

It´s in swedish almost everything. But you can look at the pictures, and you can really se how good this thing semla is.

nami nami

Hasse
24-02-04, 19:44
One small warning...

In Finland we have "fettisdagsbullar" this Tuesday, but the Swedes insist to call it "semlor". If you order a "semla" in Finland and expect to get a creamy, high calory bun you are in for a small surprise...

Fettisdagsbulle:http://www.algonet.se/~sv/3dsemla.jpg

Semlor:http://www.companionbaking.com/secondary/whatwemake/buns/bun.small.jpg

sune
24-02-04, 20:52
Pea soup is a tradition on Fastlagstisdag in Finland.

And then the children and many adults too take their sledges to a steep hill and run down it several times. It's great fun.

This is an old rural custom. It was believed that the harvest will be the better the longer runs you get.

Sune

granskare
25-02-04, 00:20
Seems to me there was a town in Kansas and one in England which held pancake flipping races or some such.
It's been a while since I'd heard of it and this reminded me.

Chuck.....who wants some pancakes now:)

sanell
25-02-04, 08:42
Fettisdagsbulle Semlor

I know exactly what you are talking about, I did that mistake last year and I can tell you, everybody in that small café had a good laugh.

Peter:D

Gwenda
25-02-04, 09:12
Well, things did not exactly go as planned with our pancakes last night. After 26 years of doing them perfectly, last night`s failed. First one stuck to the pan, second was too sloppy to toss and splashed all over the stove, but I managed to salvage two and a half others which were reasonably edible!! Will just have to have a "Non Pancake Day" and try again.:o

Dorothy
26-02-04, 04:53
We have Swedish "Plattar" at our house. Not sure of the spelling but my grandchildren loved the "rolled up pancakes" with fruit or cinnamon and sugar sprinked on them.

My mother always served them with "Rodgers Golden Syrup" .
Dorothy

sanell
26-02-04, 09:00
"Plättar" is delicious. They should be eaten warm directly from the pan. Some strawberry jam and cream. Roll them up and enjoy your meal.

Peter

Gita Wiklund
26-02-04, 09:12
Hi!

In sweden we call the small kind of pancakes (that look like blinis)plättar, and the bigger ones are called pannkakor.
Thursdays all year around is peasoup and pancake day in Sweden. Many restaurants serve it on thursday, and also schools often serve that on thursdays. First you eat the soup then the pancakes.

We usually don´t serve plättar & pannkakor with syrup, but with sugar and jam.

Do you ever mix other stuff in the pancake mix? I once tried to mash a banana in. It was good! We don´t use baking powder in making our pancakes.

Semlor used to be available in the stors on Fettisdagen but now as soon as the x-mas holiday is over they pop up. Many still think it´s wrong to eat them before Fettisdagen, so that is the day most of them are sold. I must admit I can´t wait that long myself...

Gita

June Pelo
26-02-04, 17:08
A few years ago I visited a cousin in Alnö, SWE and since it was Thursday they served pea soup and pancakes. I think we had lingonberry jam with them. As a child I remember we ate the rolled up pancakes with cinnamon and sugar - sometimes with jam.

Yes, we add blueberries, or other fruit, or chopped bacon or sausage pieces to the pancake batter. Once I added chopped nuts and raisins. We can also buy frozen pancakes that have blueberries or strawberries in them. And some day I'm going to add chocolate to the batter!

June

Gita Wiklund
26-02-04, 17:29
I add spinach in the batter sometimes when I make pancakes for lunch. It´s really good, and healthy I believe, and lingonberry jam goes great with it.

Chocolate sounds interesting. I think I will have to try that too!

:) Gita

Tracy Boeldt
26-02-04, 18:29
I remember my mother rolling up pancakes and putting cinnamon & sugar with the extras (she would always make more so we could do this). I was wondering if this is a Finnish and Swedish thing to do? My mother has no Finnish or Swedish in her line and have no idea where she got the idea.

Tracy

Gita Wiklund
26-02-04, 19:50
I don´t think it´s very common to put cinnamon and sugar on pancakes in Sweden or Finland. I´ve never heard about it. Maybe in some places. But it´s common put it on fil and on rice porridge, and in different bakery. I think we like the combination of cinnamon and sugar.

Gita

Dorothy
26-02-04, 20:57
My Fin/Swede mother's recipe for plattar doesnot contain baking powder.
Eggs beaten, adding sugar, salt, then milk until it is like a thin gravy , then adding a little vanilla It has tobe fried in real butter.
My Canadian husband has it down to perfection.

Pannkakor in our family was quite different. I have lost my mother's recipe (if she ever had one). But it was a mixture that was put into a frying pan and then baked in the oven. It had a firm custard centre and golden brown on top. I think there was cinammon and nutmeg in it. It was cut into pie shape servings and served warmed with Jam.
If anyone has this recipe I would love to have it.
Dorothy

June Pelo
26-02-04, 21:21
Most of my recipes are made in a frying pan, but here's one that is baked in the oven.

Oven Pancake

1 liter milk
1 dl rich or semolina (not quick-cooking)
1 dl flour
2 eggs
1 dl sugar
1/2 tsp salt
bit of cardamom

Bring milk to a boil and whisk in rice or semolina. Cook 20 minutes to make a porridge. Cool. Whisk eggs and sugar and add to the porridge. Stir in flour, salt and cardamom. Grease a frying or baking pan. Pour in batter and bake in hot oven, 225-250° C. until golden brown. Serve with jam and whipped cream.

1 liter = 10 dl (more than 2 pints)
1 dl (deciliter) = less than 1/2 cup

One of my cousins in Finland baked something similar and spread lingonberry jam on top.

June

Gwenda
26-02-04, 21:28
Hi Everyone

I didn`t expect quite this response from my thread starter on Shrove Tuesday. Have been reading all the delicious ideas for pancakes and will be trying them all out soon - next year`s Shrove Tuesday is too far away to wait.

I can remember making butterscotch flavoured ones many long years ago, although they came out of a packet and were not the genuine article. Quite tasty though as I recall.

Gwenda;)

sune
27-02-04, 16:58
Here in Finland plättar are thin panncakes fried in a pan on the stove regardless of whether they are big or small. A panncake made in a pan in the oven is called pannkaka. It is usually at least half an inch thick. And it is eaten as dessert with strawberry jam.

You can make this pannkaka into a regular meal if you fry some bacon until it's crispy and mix the bacon into the dough. Then you add a little salt. This is what I believe they call fläskpannkaka in Sweden.

Sune

Gita Wiklund
27-02-04, 23:21
Yes that´s right Sune. If it contains bacon it´s called fläskpannkaka. Without bacon it´s ugnspannkaka "oven pancake") I often make ugnspannkaka, it´s less job to do than the ones made on the stove, and it´s really "yammy";-)

The recipe June have with rice or semolina porridge reminds me of a similar recipe from the swedish island Gotland. Instead of cardamom they add saffron, almond and raisin and some cream as well. This pancake is served with whipped cream and a yam of Dewberry that grows on Gotland, or of blackberry. It´s very delicious.

sylviadoris
01-03-04, 22:07
In the Netherlands there are special Pannenkoeken (pancakes)restaurants where you can eat all sorts of pancakes. I like in particular the spekpannenkoek (streaky bacon pancake). They also have apple pancakes, banana pancakes and even Kirsch liquor pancakes. In fact a whole list and the pancakes are quite large and have special-size plates to accommodate them. It just goes to show how the Fins get around. Never thought there would be a descendant living in The Netherlands, did you? Itchy feet, that's us!

Gita Wiklund
01-03-04, 22:57
Never thought there would be a descendant living in The Netherlands, did you?

My sister is another. She is having a baby any minute or day now she and her husband lives in Enschede. He is from the Netherlands and she is a swede- finn.

Gita

sylviadoris
02-03-04, 20:28
Nice to hear from you and to know I'm not the only Fin descendant here. I know Enschede - it's in the east of our country. Mind you you can travel north-south and east-west all in one day as it's such a small country and flat! Like pancakes.