PDA

View Full Version : Don't Despair

June Pelo
08-06-14, 16:09
Sitting by the window of her convent, Sister Barbara opened a letter from home one evening. Inside the letter was a $100 bill her parents had sent.

Sister Barbara smiled at the gesture. As she read the letter by the window, she noticed a shabbily dressed stranger leaning against the lamp post below.

Quickly, she wrote, "Don't despair. Sister Barbara," on a piece of paper, wrapped the $100 bill in it, got the man's attention and tossed it out the window to him. The stranger picked it up, and with a puzzled expression and a tip of his hat, went off down the street.

The next day, Sister Barbara was told that a man was at her door, insisting on seeing her. She went down, and found the stranger waiting. Without a word, he handed her a huge wad of $100 bills.

"What's this?" she asked. "That's the $8,000 you have coming, Sister," he replied.
"Don't Despair paid 80-to-1."

D J Granlund
08-06-14, 18:02
Cousin June,
That brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing.
David

haroldcarlson
10-06-14, 09:12
This quick note directed mainly at June Pelo but anyone else welcome too.

1) June you recently emailed with my sister Lenore Grinolds regarding our lineage. From that we found our grandfather's name was Otto Joensuu and name changed to Otto A or Otto Alexander Carlson upon arrival at Ellis Island. Fantastic!

Such timing in that I had about simultaneously sent Lenore email saying that the name Carlson didn't sound very Finnish. Still waiting on sis to send me info .. she is so busy with work. I am retired.
What I have got verbally from Lenore is so amazing. I noticed the name Joensuu somewhere on this site. At this moment I am totally lost. Also have a very funny article to share but not sure where to post.
Harold. hcarlson%40hotmail.com

June Pelo
10-06-14, 16:12
Hello Harold,

Yes, I've been working with Lenore. I have a friend in Finland who knows one of Otto's relatives and is trying to get some information from him. As for the name Carlson, it's derived from Otto's father's first name of Carl. When Otto emigrated, he dropped the Joensuu name, and used his patronymic name Carlson. Otto's father was Carl Mattsson Näverbacka who used the name Joensuu.. it's a Finnish name as well as the name of a city in Finland. I'll put together some information and send it to your e-mail address.

RE the funny article you want to post, if it's a joke, you can post it on this forum. Otherwise you could put it in the Off Topics -Chit-Chat forum.

June

June Pelo
10-06-14, 18:10
Harold, the address you gave isn't active.. my mail to you was returned.