PDA

View Full Version : Koskitalo - Rapids - Michigan

Eero A
05-07-15, 16:53
Hi All
I am new to the forum, although I have been following Finlander for years.

I am looking for possible decendants of:
John Andersson Koskitalo, b. 11th July 1843 Temmes Finland
Lena Greta (Helena) Andersdotter Willgren, b. 16th March 1861 Teuva Finland

John's father was Anders Anttonen, John previously had that surname in Finland.

They were married in Calumet, Michigan on 9th August 1899. The family first lived in Calumet, Houghton. In 1904 they moved to Brimley, near Sault St Marie in Michigan and started farming. Also John's brother Anders Anttonen moved in Sault St Marie.

The couple had at least four children, Felix (July 14 1900), Ray Andrew (Nov. 3 1901), Mary (1903-1911) and Eino (1907). The children took a family name Rapids. At least Felix and Ray were married and had children.

Felix Rapids's last known residence is at Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. He had several different patents in his name. Ray lived at some point in Wayne, Michigan.

I have researched John's forefathers three generations and have Helena's earliest forefathers till the late 1600's. I am related to Lena Greta. I know quite well their background in Finland before their immigration.

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 15:42
Felix Richard Rapids, Clara Rapids, Ancestry Family Group Sheet

1930 US Census identifies Felix as Frank and shows a step daughter, May, age 9...mother Lena, a widow, is living with him...

1940 US Census does not show any other children...

Felix R Rapids died 14.7.1982, Chicago...but the death index identifies his spouse as Mary Jenkot

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 15:58
Felix Richard Rapids, Mary Paulina Jenkot, Ancestry Family Group Sheet

There is also a 1921 Michigan Marriage Record for Felix R. Rapids, age 23, and Olivia Johnson, age 18...Felix parents shown as John Rapids and Lena Vilgran...

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 16:19
Another Ancestry Family Group Sheet shows Felix R Rapids and Mary Pauline Jenkot married 1945, Chicago...with 3 children, most likely from Mary's previous marriage.

In 1913, one Maria Jenkot, age 19, married Roman Bojan, age 22, in Chicago, IL

The 1930 US Census shows 8 children...

Roman Bojan died 1937 in Chicago...

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 16:38
Eino Koskitalo, Martha Svec, Ancestry Family Group Sheet

Eino Rapids, Find-A-Grave: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=97627057&ref=acom

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 16:52
1930 US Census: Ray Rapids, wife Edna, children Dorothy and Ray Jr.; Ray's brother Eino

Ray A. Rapids, Edna M. Pelo, married 8.7.1924, Detroit, MI: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQQB-ZXH

Ray Andrew Rapids, born 3.11.1901, died 17.4.1978, Citrus, FL

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 16:54
Ray A. Rapids, wife Edna M., children Dorothy C. and Ray G., 1940 US Census: https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aray%20%2Bsurname%3ARapids%20% 2Bmarriage_place%3AMichigan~

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 17:05
Gerald F. Crane, Dorothy C. Rapids, 1943 Application for Marriage License, Erie County, PA

Consent to the Marriage of a Minor Child, Ray A. Rapids for Dorothy Charlotte Rapids, 21.9.1943

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 17:19
Crane, born 24.3.1948, died 25.3.1948

Dorothy C. Crane, born 13.4.1925, died 20.11.1996

Olivia Rapids (first wife of Felix), died 12.10.1925, Detroit, MI

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 18:02
Garland Ray Rapids, Barbara Louise Monahan married 17.4.1948, Pontiac, MI

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 18:05
Garland R Rapids, born 14.6.1927, died 17.2.1990, Berkley, MI

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 18:09
Ray Rapids, US Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File Index

BessemerFinn
06-07-15, 18:21
Mary S. Koskitalo, 1911 Michigan Certificate of Death

Eero A
07-07-15, 20:29
Hey, Great job, BessemerFinn! Thanks for all of the valuable information.

I didn't know Felix Rapids was married three times. Looks like that the first marriage ended up to a divorce.

John Koskitalo's surname derives from a farm name in Rantsila, where he was working in 1869-70.
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=5801937
Here John is indicated as "Johan Andersson Anttonen". No birth date here.
The farm was called Vähä-Alikoski, or Koskitalo.
"Koski" means a "rapid". Thus the new surname was a direct translation.
John was born in Temmes, but moved between Oulu, Rantsila and Temmes.
He was married with Anna Kaisa Porkka b.23.8.1834 and they had a son. Looks like the first wife
and the child died and John emigrated to the USA after that in 1880. He is also in the passport list in 1887.

Helene Koskitalo was widowed when living in her son's household in 1940, so John must have died before that. Possibly already in Brimley. I haven't found the death times of John or Helene Koskitalo yet.

Eero A
15-07-15, 20:09
Ahem, after a little searching, I found out that John Koskitalo and the first spouse Annie divorced just before the second marriage in 1899. Annie had also immigrated into the USA. They had five children.

Also found Lena Koskitalo's death date, 30th Dec 1940.

Would anyone have any information about John Koskitalo's death?

koskita001
08-05-16, 10:26
Hello Eero A, I don't know if you will see this response, but I've been looking for more information on my family. I'm a Koskitalo. From what I've researched, I'm pretty sure that I'm related to these Koskitalo's. They would have moved from Sault St Marie (Michigan side) up to Thunder Bay in Canada. If that's right then I am related to them. I was wondering if you had found out any more information?

Eero A
11-05-16, 23:15
Hi. I wrote you a private message. Please have a look. It is possible that your connection to the family could be through John J Koskitalo Jr. who was born 18th May 1867 and was married with Brita Kurtti b. 17. Jan 1866.

Ahm
22-08-16, 07:55
What a surprise to find this thread! A search of Koskitalo usually turns up virtually nothing. I am a granddaughter of Lena Wilgren Koskitalo. My father was Felix Rapids (yes, my father is the biological father of all three of Mary Jenkot Rapids's children :)). I have more family history on both Johan Koskitalo and Lena. It will take a bit of time for me to put it all together in an understandable format, so please be patient while I gather it.

Ahm
22-08-16, 19:26
What a surprise to find this thread! A search of Koskitalo usually turns up virtually nothing. I am a granddaughter of Lena Wilgren Koskitalo. My father was Felix Rapids (yes, my father is the biological father of all three of Mary Jenkot Rapids's children ). I have more family history on both Johan Koskitalo and Lena. It will take a bit of time for me to put it all together in an understandable format, so please be patient while I gather it. Sorry if this is a duplicate--I'm still learning how to reply to individuals.

Eero A
23-08-16, 10:22
Hello Ahm. Nice to hear of you and have feedback to the thread.

Lena Wilgren Koskitalo was my grandgrandfather's sister. To be precise, a half-sister, as they had the same father.
It would be nice of you could fill in some gaps. For example I haven't found the death time of John Koskitalo.

I also have ancestors for Lena and Johan Koskitalo for you if you are interested. I sent a private message to you.

E

Ahm
23-08-16, 21:49
Hello--

Here is some information that I can give you right now:

We do not have an exact death date for John Koskitalo, however, US census records show him residing with his wife and children in 1910, but the 1920 census shows Lena Koskitalo as a widow. So, we at least know that he died between 1910 and 1920. I know he is buried in Bay View Cemetery in Brimley, Michigan and as a little girl, I remember going to the cemetery and seeing his grave. However, when we went in the 1970s, we could not find his grave. The cemetery is now historical only (no new interments). The grave records were destroyed in a fire many years prior to the 1970s.

My father always told us that his half brothers, John (Johan) and Henry (Henrik), died in an explosion while transporting explosives for the Calumet and Heckla Mine, located near Calumet, Michigan. This accident was supposed to have occurred before my father was born (born 1900). I have never been able to find verification of the accident.

We have basic family history with dates going back to 1761 for Koskitalo (Henrik Hendrikson, b. August 1761)and going back to 1751 for Wilgren ancestors (Israel Hendrikson Suojanen, b. February 19, 1751). These records were found in churches during a visit to Finland in the 1970s.

Ahm
23-08-16, 22:31
Hello--

Here is some information that I can give you right now:

We do not have an exact death date for John Koskitalo, however, US census records show him residing with his wife and children in 1910, but the 1920 census shows Lena Koskitalo as a widow. So, we at least know that he died between 1910 and 1920. I know he is buried in Bay View Cemetery in Brimley, Michigan and as a little girl, I remember going to the cemetery and seeing his grave. However, when we went in the 1970s, we could not find his grave. The cemetery is now historical only (no new interments). The grave records were destroyed in a fire many years prior to the 1970s.

My father always told us that his half brothers, John (Johan) and Henry (Henrik), died in an explosion while transporting explosives for the Calumet and Heckla Mine, located near Calumet, Michigan. This accident was supposed to have occurred before my father was born (born 1900). I have never been able to find verification of the accident.

We have basic family history with dates going back to 1761 for Koskitalo (Henrik Hendrikson, b. August 1761)and going back to 1751 for Wilgren ancestors (Israel Hendrikson Suojanen, b. February 19, 1751). These records were found in churches during a visit to Finland in the 1970s.

Eero A
26-08-16, 21:58
I don't know much about John and Henry, just that they also emigrated to the USA. John was married with Brita Kurtti.

You seem to have about as much ancestors for John Koskitalo as I have, three generations.
I have researched more Lena Willgren's ancestors, I can send you seven generations backwards, people who were born in early 1600's.

If you'd like to hear more about Lena Willgren's siblings or family, I have some history for you.

Would you please check the private message from your own Finlander profile? I wrote my email address in there for you.

E