PDA

View Full Version : Finlanders/Russian 1854-56 prisoners memorial in Lewes, UK

JMBrightonUK
23-10-15, 21:32
5010Today I took some photos of the Memorial to the Finns who were imprisoned in Lewes, England, after being captured in Bomarsund, at the beginning of the Russian/Crimean War. It looks like some of the names have been shortened to get them onto the carved stone. They are: Sergeant Carl Grod.;Michel Sett.;Micha Mild.;Johan Oinstrom; Matts Asp.; Carl Lind.; Joseph Storm.; Johan Rof.; David Kihl.; Carl Udd.; Matts Hellman; Carl Wecklars; Michel Cronroos; Victor Wass; Johan Mast.; Gustaf Husar.; Johan Hellen.; Gustaf Kyro.; Victor Wilander; Joel Jalo.;Matts Lindstrom. The memorial was first erected in 1877 by the order of the emperor of Russia Alexander II. It was restored in 2012/13, jointly supported by the Russian and Finnish UK embassies.
I haven't seen any reference to this event or memorial in the Forum posts and wondered if any member can 'claim' any of the men as their ancestors. I would be happy to post or email photos, if anyone is interested in receiving them.

Öllegård
09-03-16, 01:59
Interesting though I don't know of any relatives of mine there.

The names seem to be correct on the whole. I found them on a Swedish-language site:
3.Company (9 dead in Lewes):
Skarpskytt nr46 Carl Grod, born in Tavastehus län, Skarpskytt nr86 Matts Lilja, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr102 Eric Kivi, born in Tavastehus län, Skarpskytt nr105 Matts Mört, born in Tavastehus län, Skarpskytt nr112 David Kihl, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr135 Carl Wecktars, born in Wasa län, Skarpskytt nr162 Carl Lind, born in Tammerfors, Skarpskytt nr175 Joel Jalo, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr179 Matts Asp, born in Åbo.
4.Company (11 dead in Lewes):
Skarpskytt nr40 Abraham Lindfors, born in Nylands län, Skarpskytt nr54 Johan Mast, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr56 Johan Oinström, born in Nylands län, Skarpskytt nr67 Joseph Storm, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr78 Adolph Granat, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr83 Johan Roof, born in Tavastehus län, Skarpskytt nr90 Gustaf Husar, born in Tavastehus län, Skarpskytt nr115 Wictor Willander, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr165 Carl Boll, born in Åbo län, Skarpskytt nr168 Matts Lindström, born in Tavastehus län, Skarpskytt nr211 Johan Kivi, born in Åbo län.

Many names are in both lists but not all.