PDA

View Full Version : Johannes Ahlskog emigrated to USA and became John Erickson?

Öllegård
04-03-16, 12:07
Johannes Johansson (Johan-Ericsson) Ahlskog was born on 01.26.1874 Ahlskog homestead, in the village Voitby, Korsholm (Mustasaari). His parents were Johan Eric Johansson Ahlskog (born 1840) and Stina Caisa Johansdotter Sundqvist (born 1846). As long as the family is in Korsholm can I find them in the church books. But in 1890 they moved to Kvevlax and then I lose track. I do not know if he lived in Kvevlax until he emigrated.

I do not know who he married and when. He married probably before he emigrated (if he emigrated in 1903), but it should have been 1894 - 1903, and as late information I can not find in the church books from Kvevlax. About Marriage says the Digihakemisto covers 1722 - 1924, which of course looks promising. But then it says "limited" which in practice means that there is not anything at all.

I've been looking at the Ellis Island site (/http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger) and found three people with the name Johannes Ahlskog.
1. Johannes Ahlskog. Last place of residence / Birthplace: Ahlskog. Ship: Philadelphia.
Year of Arrival: 1903 Age at arrival 28 yrs (should have been 30)
2. Johannes Ahlskog. Last place of residence / Birthplace: Mustassin Flost. (Sounds like he comes from Mustasaari). Ship: Saint Paul. Year of arrival in 1903. Age at arrival 28th
3. Johannes Ahlskog. Arrived in 1923 from Solf, age 26 years. I ruled him out because the age does not fit at all.
I guess all the ships from Europe with the emigrants came to Ellis Island. But I have no idea where he went.

Have Googled John Ahlskog and found too many hits, but no one seems to be "my" John Ahlskog. Tried to check in the 1910 census but no response at all. I do not even know if he retained the name Ahlskog or chose something else that sounded more English.

When to fill in the "Place of birth" I do not know if I should write village (Voitby), or parish and if parish, Korsholm or Mustasaari. So I just write "Finland".

USA is such a big country and I don't know which state he lived in. I know there were many Swede Finns in Colorada, California, Minnesota and Montana, but he could have moved anywhere. I know that he lived until after WWII, since he wrote a letter to the family then (the letter is lost).

There is a possibility that he changed his name to John Erickson. Karen Norwillo has done some detective work:

I think I may have found him using the name John Erickson in Mass. There is a 1899 marriage in Gardner, MA to Lisa Carlson. His father listed as John, mother as Stina Sundquist (they ask for mother's maiden name) In census images from 1910-1920-1930-1940 family found. 1910 in Gardner, 1920 in Westminster, 1930 and 1940 in Templeton. Children listed in various years Jane, Signa, Sigrid V, Ruth J M. In 1940 daughter Viola (Sigrid V) and husband Theodore Johnson, son-in-law.
---
More on Erickson family.
Signe Johanna (Jane) 27 Sep 1901, married Walfrid or Wilfred Harts 21 Oct 1922 in Templeton, MA. Daughters Phyllis and Marilyn. May be more children. Died 26 Dec 1999, buried All Faiths Cemetery, Worcester, MA.
Sigrid Viola 21 Sep 1905, married Theodore Johnson, died 28 Aug 2001 Templeton, MA.
Ruth Maria 17 Jun 1910, married Carl Backstrom, died 31 May 2003 Cherry Hill. Camden, NJ. Daughter Elizabeth, sons C Stephen and Gregory E. Obit found on Find-a Grave.

In that case he emigrated to USA as early as in 1893. The problem is that Erickson is more common than Ahlskog. And his descendants problaby do no know that his original surname was Ahlskog.

Any American relatives out there?

Öllegård
04-03-16, 19:41
He was born 26.1.1873 (not 1874).

Karen Norwillo
04-03-16, 20:29
Here's his WWI Draft Registration card.

Öllegård
06-03-16, 00:41
Here's his WWI Draft Registration card.

Thank you. I suppose he did not go to WWI, since he was not young then. Is there a site where you can find all men's draft cards for WWI? Perhaps I could find more relatives then.

Karen Norwillo
06-03-16, 16:25
All these images came from Ancestry.com which is a subscription site. If you do not want to join, post the names and I'll look for you.

Karen Norwillo
06-03-16, 19:59
There are many men and women on Ancestry.com with Ahlskog name. I did find one from Voitby that may interest you. Albert Ahlskog 25 May 1888 from Voitby. WWI Draft Reg. card in Alaska. There are also 2 from Nedervetil and one says Malaks, another Wasa. Births range 1880 to 1899. Many on the west coast.

June Pelo
07-03-16, 05:18
I have loads of Ahskog names, but almost 100% from Nedervetil. I know of an Ahlskog who changed his name to Alskog when he emigrated... he was from Malax.

Öllegård
07-03-16, 19:45
There are many men and women on Ancestry.com with Ahlskog name. I did find one from Voitby that may interest you. Albert Ahlskog 25 May 1888 from Voitby. WWI Draft Reg. card in Alaska. There are also 2 from Nedervetil and one says Malaks, another Wasa. Births range 1880 to 1899. Many on the west coast.

I have not found any Albert Ahlskog among my relatives in Voitby. Of course, Ahlskog was a homestead with more than one family. So there are many Ahlskogs who are not related to me.

Myby it was this Albert Ahlskog in Mt Vernon who married a Hilma Svedberg Hilma (1891–1913) (she who died in childbirth 1913):

År 1909, efter det
fadern hade dött, reste Hilma till Amerika,
naturligtvis till Tacoma, där de flesta syskonen
var bosatta.
Hon träffade en ung man, Albert Ahlskog
från Korsholm. Ett tycke uppstod, de gifte sig
i april 1912 och flyttade till staden Mt Vernon
norr om Seattle. – Där inträffade det tragiska,
att Hilma dog i barnsäng i jan. 1913, 21 år ung

Öllegård
09-03-16, 03:54
I have loads of Ahskog names, but almost 100% from Nedervetil. I know of an Ahlskog who changed his name to Alskog when he emigrated... he was from Malax.

There may be many homesteads named Ahlskog and therefore many unrelated families with Ahlskog as surname. My Ostrobothnian universe ends with Vasa in the south and Jakobstad in the north. The name Ahlskog started with the father of Johan Erik Johansson (the father of Johannes Ahlskog); Johan Jakobsson moved to Ahlskog in Voitby but used a different "family name" (homestead name) before. And people really loved the name Johan/nes!

Alskog without an "H" looks naked and bare imo. Or like the Alskog socken on Gotland (https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alskogs_socken) But I suppose it made it simpler to spell out the name abroad. I think the "H" is due to influence of the German language (like in Dahl, Kihl, Sahlström etc).