SFHS Topmenu: Finlander | SFHS | Repository | Talko | DEE |

Caino

From SFHS

Jump to: navigation, search

Add Your Content Here

                                                                             CAINO

The Caino name appeared for the first time in 1648 as Kajnå, later Kaino in 1652, and then Kaijnu in 1676. The oldest known master of household was Mickel Olofsson Koira. Virrankoski believes that the name came from the master Mickel Grelsson Caino. I thought the father Grels had only lived a couple of years on the farm. Earlier the farm which is located on the north shore of the Vetil river was nearer the river than it is today. According to tradition the oldest Caino farm was on a place called Pirttiketo – perhaps the place where the local historical society has placed a stone in memory of Grels Caino.

Olof Grelsson had two horses, five cows, a calf, ten sheep and a pig. He was the second wealthiest farmer in Övervetil, after Luomala in Kaustby. In 1598 the number of cows increased to 20 and in the collection of taxes in 1608 Caino had the highest taxation amount in the northern part of Karleby parish.

Olof’s sons Henrik and Mickel divided the homestead. In 1616 Storcaino was separated from the original farm that now began to be called Lillkaino. Today only the forms Kainu and Vähäkainu (Lillkaino) are used. During each generation there was a lot of migration, leaving the family to continue through Jacob Caino’s daughter and son-in-law. According to notes from 1879 there were nine masters household at Caino. According to the church books some of them were of the Torp family, who came to Caino via Puusaari. All but two were members of the Caino family and all of them still live in their home village although EU (European Union) regulations have muddled the traditional occupational terms.

LILLKAINO

Go back to older times. When Olof Mickelsson moved to Kronoby, Anders and Olof (unknown) became masters of household of the homestead until a new master, Erik Olofsson, came from Torp on the other side of the river. He bought the farm in 1636 and took the name and management of the homestead.

During the following generations the homestead was in other hands twice until a capable man took over, named Josef Laasanen who during his management from 1709-1719 put the farm in good order. His son Erik continued as master of household. But later misfortune occurred. In 1726 Jakob Forselius, parish minister wrote how God reminded people of their carelessness through a dreadful storm that blew away the upper part of the church steeple. Later he continued: “The same year God gave another proof of his justness: Johan Huhtakoski and Josef Lillkaino and their two sons, Erik and Mickel Josefsson drowned at the same time when raft-floating in Karjalankoski rapids.” The pastor reminded them that people must pray each day and be prepared for a blessed passing from life. The sister of the brothers, Greta Josefsdotter, had married Simon Pulkkinen, who now became master of household. The couple was sentenced to the stocks owing to their fondness for picking quarrels. Simon bought Greta’s freedom and sat alone in the stocks. Juryman Johan Pollari was filled with wonder about Simon’s cheerful humor while sitting in the stocks and he seized Simon’s spirit-jug and sued him in the secular law-court.

Simon’s descendants lived a couple generations at Lillkaino, but life brought misfortune. In 1800 Simon’s grandson Johan Josefsson Lillkaino was one of 10 of the wealthiest of the Vetil residents and at his death in 1810 he had claims on 15 people. But Johan’s son moved away; in his brother’s family there were two cases of manslaughter. The last who lived on the farm was a son-in-law from Harabacka.

In the statistics about homesteads in 1879, there were eight tenements in Lillkaino. The church books shows that none of the eight masters of household were descendants of Erik Olofsson Torp, also some of his descendants still remain in the village, but the new masters of household were partly Kaustby residents of the Polso family from Vetil. The liveliest of them is the Penttilä/Lillkaino family or Sepän-Anttis family.

Marjatta Pulkkinen

Sources in addition to those mentioned in the text: Pentti Virrankoski: Kokkolan pitäjän yläosan historia Vetelin seurakunta 1639-1989

(English translation by June Pelo)

Personal tools
blog comments powered by Disqus