PDA

View Full Version : Hollola and the Great Famine

Karen Norwillo
17-06-18, 20:27
Does anyone know a resource (in English) relating to the Great Famine and works projects in Hollola. Several of the men in my ancestry died there during the 1860-1880 time period. I see that Ostrobothnia was badly hit by the famine. I have 8 members of one family who perished during that time period; starvation and typhus. I found the excellent work by Pär-Erik Levlin from Feb 1985.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
17-06-18, 22:50
Here's another puzzle belonging to the same family. Simon Alfred Simonsson Juhlfors 17.9.1865 died 6.11.1867 says Tavastehus. The only reference to this place was far from Esse. What would a 2 year old be doing there? Any thoughts.
Karen

June Pelo
18-06-18, 15:06
Karen,
I have that article by Per-Erik Levlin. I also have articles about the famine in Nedervetil. It affected that entire part of the country, but I don't have anything about Hollola.

Karen Norwillo
18-06-18, 15:27
From what I've been able to find, it looks like the government created some work projects where the famine wasn't as bad and men went there, but it appears many died there. Looks like aid from Russia went first to those who needed it least and last to those who needed it most.

June Pelo
18-06-18, 17:12
This article mentions the famine in Nedervetil in the 1860s.. how the weather was against the efforts of the farmers to grow anything. Those were terrible years for our ancestors... hard to imagine in today's perspective. http://finlander.genealogia.fi/sfhswiki/index.php/Nedervetil_-_The_Ostrobothnian_Village