PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Finnish Relatives from Pörtom in Woonsocket

Danamcgowan
28-10-18, 23:36
Hi - I have these two photographs from my cousin in Finland. These are relatives who immigrated from Pirttikylä/Pörtom, Finland prior to the mid to late 1890s. Clothing dates the with the four ladies to 1895-1900 while the other one is about 2-3 years earlier.

On the back of the one with two ladies (mother and daughter?) it reads in Swedish "Johanna Pihlk with daughter at home from Gransbackan in Pörtom moved Närvijoki and Jurva."

The other one reads Maiu Johanna (Maiu is the nickname of the old Maria> Maija> Maiu).

I've tried the name Pihlk along with Pihlaja, Pilajamaki, Pihlajamaa, Pilajaneimi but can't find them in Finland or US.

Pihlk could also refer to the place name between Pörtom and Närvijoki called Pilkbacken. Apparently this also denotes the language boundary between Swedish and Finnish speaking farms.

Any suggestions?

DaveCarlson
08-12-18, 23:23
You very well may have tried this already, but the Institute of Migration in Turku/Åbo has these two Johannas who went to Woonsocket in 1899:
HÅKANS
First names Johanna
Age or age group 35
Port of departure Kristiinankaupunki
Place of destination Woonsocket
State of destination RI
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 137
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 12.08.1899
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Dominion Linen
Port of departure in England *
List and page 5/46
Remarks Mk Henrik Håkans.

TRÄSKBÖLE
First names Johanna
Age or age group 25
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Woonsocket
State of destination RI
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 160
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 16.09.1899
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 10/8
Remarks *

The latter seems like it is probably Korsnäs rather than Pörtom?

Danamcgowan
18-12-18, 19:38
Thank you Dave. I don't think these ladies are my ladies, unfortunately. Even though people aged a lot more quickly back in the day, or at least looked older, I can't imagine that the mother in the pictures was born any time later than 1860. The pictures date from the early to mid 1890s based on clothing and the daughter in the younger looking picture with just the mother and daughter might be 14-18 years old. But I appreciate the help. ~ Dana