PDA

View Full Version : About Me

Nevada43
23-03-05, 04:26
My name is Marty Neva and live in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. I have been into genealogy for about seven years and have received a lot of help from others in compiling my ancestry. I now volunteer at RAOGK (Random Acts Of Genealogical Kindness) at http://www.raogk.org which provides voluntary assistance to those that cannot access records in my locality.

I am married with two adult offspring and four grandchildren, aged 3 months to 6 years. I am a retired accountant from INCO Limited (the nickel mining company) where I worked for 27 years. My hobbies are genealogy, art, metal detecting, x-country skiing, walking, fishing, photography, reading and computering.

My Finnish ancestors in Canada start with my great grandfather Jaakko Isakkinpoika Porrasmäki who emigrated from Harja, Kauhajoki in 1887 to the USA and subsequently to the Sudbury area via Sault Ste. Marie. He helped establish the temperance society branch 'Pelastuksen Sankari' (Hero of those Saved) in Sault Ste. Marie. He then moved to the Sudbury area where he again helped found another temperance society branch called "Oikeuden Ohje' in Copper Cliff. He left his family in Finland, I suppose intending to bring them later or return. His son , Isaac (my grandfather) also emigrated to the Sudbury area where they met a month before Jaakko died in 1900. I am still searching for Jaakko's immigration record into the US or Canada.

My grandfather Isaac Porrasmäki married in Finland to Kreeta Sofia Heinineva from Mieto, Kurikka and as was the custom, adopted the Heinineva name when they lived on the farm of that name. Once in Canada the name was shortened to Neva.

Some of Isaac's brothers and sister and Sofia's brothers and sister also emigrated to the Sudbury area, although some of them returned to Finland. An interesting fact about the two families is that two Porrasmäki brothers married two Heinineva sisters. My father Verner, the offspring of one couple and his cousin Oiva, son of the other couple were born in the same house on the same day - Feb 5, 1904.

My mother, Alli Himanka, emigrated as a 19 year old to the Sudbury area from Toholampi, Finland in 1929 and worked in the boarding houses until she married my father in 1930. Her family is from Himanka in the Himanka parish. A few years ago I found via the internet a second cousin by the name of June Lynch in Hermantown, just outside Duluth, Minnesota, who provided me with a lot of the ancestors of the Himanka-Himango line.

My wife's maternal line starts in Alavus in 1798 with Regina Johansdtr Seppälä and acquires some additional people along the way. I am at a brick wall going past her as the records for the year of her birth have been destroyed. If anyone has information about the births in Alavus for 1798 I would like to hear from them.

I have submitted the GEDCOM for both of my parental lines and also my wife's maternal line. I have already received help from Lori who is a new member of this forum and look forward to helping others when I can and receiving help when I need it. Thanks for setting up this forum.

kpaavola
23-03-05, 13:52
Welcome to the Finlander Forum, Marty! I look forward to your contributions. I'll need to take a look at your data in Talko as I seem to recall we've corresponded in the past and suspect we share similar lines.

Jim Bailey
24-03-05, 05:00
Hi, Marty ----

Welcome to the List. These are great people and have been a big help to me with my research.

For about six years in the 1940s, I was raised in Escanaba, not terribly far from you. Now, I'm stuck in the cornfields of Indiana, but I'm still a Yooper at heart.

My grandfather came from Hangö, Finland, about 1902 to his sister's place in Cedarville, MI, also not far from you. He moved on to Ashland, WI, but his sister, her husband, and the son stayed on the farm near Cedarville until the 1960s or 70s. All gone now.

All the best,

Nevada43
26-03-05, 05:51
Thanks to Seppo Järvinen, who provide the data, i have now found the information regarding my wife's ggg grandmother's birth and her parents.