PDA

View Full Version : Finnish phrases on headstones

Avie
15-06-06, 14:43
Hi!

I'm new to this site. I was searching the 'net for a suitable phrase to put on my late husband's headstone. Both his parents were from Finland originally but lived in Canada for many years. Although my husband only spoke Finnish as a small child, I was thinking if I could find a suitable Finnish phrase, I'd consider it. The last name was changed from Hämäläinen to Hamlin back in his grandfather's day...so the name doesn't reflect his Finnish heritage. Any suggestions?

Alf Blomqvist
15-06-06, 19:52
Hi and welcome!

I suggest Hämäläinen...

June Pelo
16-06-06, 01:15
Avie,

I think you are asking for suggestions for an epitaph for your late husband's headstone? Do you want it in Finnish or English? Perhaps someone on Finlander can think of something appropriate.

June

Avie
16-06-06, 02:23
I would be interested in learning of some epitaphs in Finnish.

ami tempelman
21-06-06, 20:22
Originally posted by Avie
Hi!

I'm new to this site. I was searching the 'net for a suitable phrase to put on my late husband's headstone. Both his parents were from Finland originally but lived in Canada for many years. Although my husband only spoke Finnish as a small child, I was thinking if I could find a suitable Finnish phrase, I'd consider it. The last name was changed from Hämäläinen to Hamlin back in his grandfather's day...so the name doesn't reflect his Finnish heritage. Any suggestions?

ami tempelman
21-06-06, 20:27
Here is something in :

"Levolle lasken luojani
armias ole suojani,
jos sijaltain en nousisi
taivaaseen ota tykösi"

in english:

"Now I lay me down to sleep
pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
pry the lord my soul to take"