PDA

View Full Version : Hello, my name is Char Kibbie...

csnkibbie
02-10-08, 20:30
I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Charlotte [Nisen] Kibbie. I live with my family in Kent, Washington, USA (17 miles SE of Seattle). I am researching my paternal grandparents. Grandpa John NISEN was born 22 Feb 1864 in Kalax, Närpes parish. I have been able to gather much information about his ancestry. Grandma Alma Erika was born 25 Sept 1872, daughter of Anders Johan BACKMAN and Erika Mathilda JOHSDTR at Godtby, Jomala, Åland, Finland. My grandmother was the oldest of twelve children. She came to the U.S. with her family. Alma met John in Ishpeming, Michigan and that is where they were married 25 Aug 1891. John and his bride moved with her family to northern Minnesota and were pioneer settlers of the villages of Merritt and then Biwabik on the Iron Range.
It is Alma Erika's ancestry that I am presently working on. 25+ years ago I was helped by wonderful folks who passed me information, but without documentation. Now I am trying to verify what I have. I may have made some assumptions that are not right.
I do not know the correct place to post my questions on the forum. So I hope someone will guide me.
My husband and I also have 12 children - all ours as we have been married 38 years. We have 21 grandchildren with #22 due to arrive this week. We are a close-knit family and carry on some Swede-Finn traditions. I make a St. Lucia's bread for Christmas, we have an annual lutefish feast and in January we gather to make about 80 pasties. I have just one brother and he lives in the state of New Hampshire. I always wait for his trip to visit Seattle to have the lutefish as he loves it like Dad. And he says I prepare it the right way.
I am happy to be here on this forum as I recognize a few names already. I hope I might be able to help if anyone is looking for posterity here in the states. I know I'll need help from you who know how to research the records in Finland.

June Pelo
02-10-08, 22:17
Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to Finlander Forum. We have some good researchers here and if you post as much information as you have, perhaps one of them can help you. We have a forum for Relatives Search Board- Ads and that probably would be a good place to put your query. You mentioned your grandmother's parents were from Åland. We have a member Ingemar Ekman who was born there and he has a lot of data, or knows where to find it. So post your query.

You mentioned Biwabik, MN. One of my uncles had a cottage there on Lake Eshquagema(?) and we used to vacation there many years ago. I have a cousin who lives in Aurora, which is nearby. You also mentioned lutfisk, which many of us know about. Our family loves it, but there are lots of members who don't. The subject is discussed here often at Christmas time, along with other goodies.