PDA

View Full Version : Anders Victor Swanson

deb51185
23-10-09, 18:37
Hello,
I am trying to find information on my great grandfather, Anders Victor Swanson. United States Federal Census records say he is from Sweden, but his marriage certificate to my great grandmother in San Jose, CA, 1904 says he is from Finland. Funeral home records say his birth date is 6 Jul 1866, and his parents are Andrew and Anna. Census records say he immigrated to the US in 1887. Can anyone help me find him in Finnish records?

Thank you!

Debbie

diogenes99
23-10-09, 20:44
Hello,
I am trying to find information on my great grandfather, Anders Victor Swanson. United States Federal Census records say he is from Sweden, but his marriage certificate to my great grandmother in San Jose, CA, 1904 says he is from Finland. Funeral home records say his birth date is 6 Jul 1866, and his parents are Andrew and Anna. Census records say he immigrated to the US in 1887. Can anyone help me find him in Finnish records?

Thank you!

Debbie

Do you know what his real surname is?

Mike Swanson

Denise
24-10-09, 01:16
Hi,
I believe this is your Ander Swanson, but it's a Canadian Passenger Record and lacks any details. Just certain nationalities were counted, and he would be listed as a "foreigner". He is the 5th person from the bottom of this passenger record. I am also adding the page from the manifest that gives details of dates and ship name, etc. too.On the Institute of Migration there are a few Swanson names; most are from Helsinki or Vaasa. I'm guessing he was from a Swedish speaking area of Finland. Hiski doesn't have records online for the birthdate of 1866. Do you have any other Swanson relatives that look familiar on these records from the Institute of Migration?

Best Regards,
Denise

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: Ander Swanson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Date of Arrival: 21 Jun 1887
Vessel: Lake Ontario
Search Ship Database: View the 'Lake Ontario' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec and Montreal, Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: C-4535

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search results (Passenger records)

Last name First names Place of destination State Country Date
Swanson Anton Duluth MN USA 04.10.1905
Swanson Arthur New York NY USA 99.99.9999
Swanson Ellen Duluth MN USA 04.10.1905
Swanson Gust Duluth MN USA 04.10.1905
Swanson Hilma New York NY USA 99.99.9999
Swanson Jahn New York NY USA 15.02.1908
Swanson John New York NY USA 99.99.9999
Swanson Leonard Duluth MN USA 04.10.1905
Swanson Maria Duluth MN USA 04.10.1905
Swanson R. New York NY USA 99.99.9999
Swanson Sophia Cleveland OH USA 26.08.1905

If any of these names look familiar I will post the record for you.

deb51185
24-10-09, 23:39
Hi Denise,
Thank you for the ships records and the information on Anders Swanson. He has proven very difficult for me to find any information on before 1900. He went by his middle name, Victor. According to funeral home records, (he died in 1916) his father's name was Andrew, so I'm thinking this might show that wherever in Finland he came from, they didn't practice patronymics? All I have on him is from census and voter records, and his funeral home record in California. My grandmother has a few handwritten notes on him that say he came alone on a ship, his birth date, and a few photos. That's about it. As far as I know, he had no relatives here. I've had better luck with my husband's family, and friends I've helped with their searches than with my own ancestors!

Thanks again,
Debbie

deb51185
24-10-09, 23:54
Hello Mike,
I'm not sure if his real name is Swanson or not. He is listed in Santa Cruz and Santa Clara County voter records as Anders Victor Swanson, even though he is listed as Andrew everywhere else. So I'm thinking the Anders is correct anyway. I found a naturalization record in LDS films for Anders Victor Swanson in Santa Clara County dated 20 Sept 1900. In one part the "a" in Swanson is crossed out and an "e" is above it. In another place it is left alone. He signed his name Anders Victor "Svenson". It says he was a native of Russia and he renounced the Czar of Russia. The whole Russia thing threw me, but I copied it because it was the only one I found where the name matched. I have since learned that Finland was part of Russia at the time? So until I can verify more, this is one of my maybe's.

diogenes99
25-10-09, 02:12
There is a marriage in 1861 of an Andrew to an Anna in HisKi. I wonder if these are the parents.

Announc. Married Village Farm Man Wife Village Farm
*3.11.1861 24.11.1861 f. i St:holm o. Finska förs. arb. karl And. Wilh. Napoleon Swensson jfru Anna Maria Oxelquist f. i Sorunda
original - ALKUPKOMM: mies: 10/6 1833. Tillh. denna förs. nainen: d. 9/7 1833. Infl. fr. St: Cath. 1861.