PDA

View Full Version : translation help?

bbj
01-03-10, 07:29
Hello!
I am looking for help in translating the attached. I believe it is a birth certificate of some sort? Is this a church record birth certificate?
The document refers to my maternal great grandfather, and I'm still looking for clues about his Finnish ancestors.
thank you in advance for any help!
Brenda

nikus
01-03-10, 07:49
Something like this:

I hereby certify that Iisakki Haanpää´s and his wife Sanna´s son was born in Virginia, MN on Oct 9 1911 and baptized Nov 19 1911 in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and the child got the name Urho William.

Godparents: Iisakki Ahteenpää and his wife Anna, Daniel Hill and his wife Sofia, Johan Autio and Maria Hill.

P. Keränen

kivinen1
01-03-10, 09:07
Brenda,

There are a few Iisakki Haanpää listed at the Migration Institute in both Passport and Passenger records.

Do you know if Iisakki had and brothers or sisters?

Here are the 3 men by that name that I see under the passport records:

Last name...First name...Passport date......date of birth..parish..destination
Haanpää....Iisakki...........23.11.1905..........1 880............Kurikka..Amerikka
Haanpää....Iisakki...........03.02.1905..........1 877............Jalasjärvi..Amerikka
Haanpää....Iisakki...........20.05.1903..........1 874............Jalasjärvi..Amerikka

#1 went to Virginia, Minnesota in 1903

So it would be interesting if any of them are your Iisakki.

Jalasjärvi and Kurikka are neighboring parishes.

There are also a couple of Sanna's listed, but I don't know if they would have been married in Finland or USA, so I didn't list them here, since we might be looking first for a maiden name.

Karen Norwillo
01-03-10, 16:07
The document looks very much like my father's Baptismal certificate which I have framed and hanging. They were beautiful documents.

June Pelo
01-03-10, 16:47
In the 1800s and early 1900s I think the Lutheran churches in the US issued elaborate marriage and birth certificates like that. I have the one for my father's parents when they married, and it had an opening in it to insert a small head photo of the man and woman. Our church was a Swedish Lutheran church so my baptism certificate is written in Swedish and has a colorful flower border across the top and down the sides.

bbj
01-03-10, 19:23
I'm so glad to be back to this wonderful site of helpful people!
Now I need to go back to my searching to try to locate anyone in Urho's family line, so that birth certificate can be returned to the rightful family.
Urho was my Grandfathers brother. We had always thought the certificate was for him OR was Isaac's! It is a good thing I thought to ask about getting it translated I guess.
UrhoWilliam Haanpaa, born 1-10-1911 died in Superior WI, 1-1977, out of touch with either of his two brothers. He was married to Ida Haanpaa b 10-9-1890 Finland. I believe she may have died 3-10-1971 in Alameda CA. Any help locating any decendants would be greatly appreciated, so that I can give them that beautiful document.
Brenda

bbj
01-03-10, 19:27
My 18 year old daughter agrees Karen! She wanted to know why we no longer have them instead of our ugly courthouse versions. I guess the difference is that the churches no longer do any ornate birth or baptismal certificates.
Brenda

The document looks very much like my father's Baptismal certificate which I have framed and hanging. They were beautiful documents.

bbj
01-03-10, 19:47
born 1-1-1880, Tuomikyla, Lansi-Suomen Laani. (Some things said Ilmajoki).
1-1880 Christening, godparents iisakki and kustaava kohtamaki, priest C.r. Forsman
Birth listed as 02 Jan 1880 on Naturalization petition date.
Arrival 1903, departed port of Hanko, 02 Apr 1903?
Married 1902 to
Susanna catarina (Katri or Katharina) Pihlaja (pihlajaniemi) Roysko
b 28 Feb or 28 Oct or 28 Nov 1879 Ilmajoki, royskola village. Godparents Jacob and Susanna Roysko
28 Jan or 02 Apr 1903 emmigration also.

Isaac did have at least one brother, an older one we were told. Do not know if there were any other siblings?
I was told his parents were called Sam and Mary, but do have a Johan Matsson and Kaisa Matsdotter listed. Sam/Johan, the father, was blind and told his son to go to Amerika.
The 'older' brother to Isaac, name unknown, did have a daughter named Elma Haanpaa who wrote 3 postcards to her cousin/my Grandpa (son of Isaac) as far as we know. She lived in Vaasa with her husband and her aging father (who died at age 93?) dying in 1980. She was married to Yrjo Johannes Jussila. One child as far as we knew, Simo Jussila?
thank you AGAIN for any and all help!
Brenda

Brenda,

There are a few Iisakki Haanpää listed at the Migration Institute in both Passport and Passenger records.

Do you know if Iisakki had and brothers or sisters?

Here are the 3 men by that name that I see under the passport records:

Last name...First name...Passport date......date of birth..parish..destination
Haanpää....Iisakki...........23.11.1905..........1 880............Kurikka..Amerikka
Haanpää....Iisakki...........03.02.1905..........1 877............Jalasjärvi..Amerikka
Haanpää....Iisakki...........20.05.1903..........1 874............Jalasjärvi..Amerikka

#1 went to Virginia, Minnesota in 1903

So it would be interesting if any of them are your Iisakki.

Jalasjärvi and Kurikka are neighboring parishes.

There are also a couple of Sanna's listed, but I don't know if they would have been married in Finland or USA, so I didn't list them here, since we might be looking first for a maiden name.