PDA

View Full Version : Farm name vs. croft name

Ron Helin
09-04-11, 18:51
I have an ancestor who was born on Hautamäki, a croft on Lehmälampi, a farm in the former parish of Peräseinäjoki. According to some genealogists my ancestor would have carried the name “Hautamäki.” According to others, she would have carried the name “Lehmälampi.” Which of the two groups is correct?

Hasse
09-04-11, 22:02
I have an ancestor who was born on Hautamäki, a croft on Lehmälampi, a farm in the former parish of Peräseinäjoki. According to some genealogists my ancestor would have carried the name “Hautamäki.” According to others, she would have carried the name “Lehmälampi.” Which of the two groups is correct?

I would say that - probably both.

The thing was that people in the Western Finland didn't usually go by family names before the laws in the 1920's making a surname mandatory. With today's internet way of saying it - the names could be described with the internet [at]-character...

Matts Mattsson [at] Hautamäki
Matts Mattsson [at] Lehmälampi

...depending on where he lived.

People were originally identified primarily by their given name plus their patronym, Matts Matts' son. At some point an extra information was needed to distinguish several Matts Matts' sons living {in the same village} from each other. People started to refer to Matts Matts' son as Matts Matts{' }son {who lived at} Lehmälampi {farm}. Thus when he moved to the croft he went by the name Matts Matts{' }son {who lived at} Hautamäki {croft}.

Surnames thus changeed according to where a person lived at the moment and a person could go by several surnames during his/her lifetime.

Hasse

Karen Norwillo
09-04-11, 22:05
Looking on both Hiski and FFHA, there are several farms, torps, under Lehmälämpi, Lehmälämmi or Lehmälämbi, spelling varies depending on year. I would think they would use the farmname to distinguish where they were born. On Hiski, there were no Lehmälämpi surnames listed in Peräseinäjoki, but there were lots of Hautamäki. If you tell me when your ancestor was born, I can look on FFHA to find the birth record.

K-G Molander
05-05-11, 18:26
I use farm names were you write the location of event.

Example.
Name: Andreas Hendrichsson
Born: 24 Nov 1779
Place: Bonds, Purmo, Vasa, Finland
Died: Härbärge, Purmo, Vasa, Finland.
Father: Hendrich
Mother: Brigitta

Some exception exist.
If fathers name is unknown, then a place name is acceptable, I think. This help to identify the person.
I have never liked that the surname becomes a traveling history.

Example.
Name: Andreas Hendrichsson Bonds Härbärge. Or should it be, Andreas Hendrichsson Härbärge Bonds. And more variations exist. This should not be.